MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2010 05:31 AM

Anxiety

berearanger

How does everyone deal with anxiety and panic attacks as a side affect of bipolar II. I have anxiety attacks when I anticipate events I don't have control over. During the events I have panic attachs. After its all over I think how ridiculous the anxiety was and that I wasted my time with anxiety over the event. Logic gives way to the anxiety.

Thanks

05/04/2010 05:41 AM
jaguarandcubs
jaguarandcubs  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I give myself a very stern talking to - tell myself to relax, it's going to be OK, breathe.....

I try to make sure I have someone with me when I have to be in a situation I know is going to bring on an anxiety attack - which isn't always easy or possible. I TRY to 'grin and bear it' but when I can't, I fake it. I've become very good at hiding my inner torment. If it gets too bad, I go sit somewhere quiet until I can calm down. If that doesn't work, I go home.

If it gets really severe, there are anti-anxiety meds. I'm not taking any, but I'm sure I will be at some point soon!

05/04/2010 08:04 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I have a hard time with panic attacks! Every time, I think I'm dying and just can't shake how I react to them. I know that you are supposed to calm down, but I cant. Then afterward, I feel kind of stupid, but I just can't control the panic! Hugs

05/04/2010 10:04 AM
beautifulmind
beautifulmind  

Whenever I have a panic attack I feel like I'm going to die. Even though it's not logical and I know it; at the time it sure feels real. If I am alone I will usually pick up the phone and call someone to try and distract me. It usually helps or I will see if someone can come over to sit with me awhile. Also I have klonipin to take if it gets really intense with a racing heartrate and shaking. I have only had 2 severe attacks thank God! Sometimes it helps to go outside and get out of the house. If I am inside sometimes it feels as if everything is closing in on me.

05/04/2010 10:40 AM
Tommy100
Tommy100  

I am so anxious my back is in a spasm. And my B Pressure is high, got too much Adrenaline in me and don`t know how to bring it down myself..

05/04/2010 11:40 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tommy, Please do some breathing exercises, count, try to relax. Can you go for a walk? I don't know what time it is there. Listen to some calming music or try to watch a nice movie, nothing violent lol. Do you have any anti anxiety meds if none of this works so we can get your blood pressure down? Please relax buddy. Did something upset you? We are here for you. Big Hugs, Stacey Wink

05/04/2010 03:47 PM
Bill04
Bill04  

Berearanger and especially Tommy, when I get those attacks I feel a pain boring from the chest to the back and the back to the chest, it feels like I am having a friggin heart attack, doctor says no, so I slowly breathe deeply an slowly breathe deeply out. Tommy, i have High BP too so I have to watch myself that I do not get too anxious. It's a dead give-away for me when I am anxious, my face and ears get real red and I feel hot so I know it is time to cool it. BP Meds can only do so much, we have to do the restSmile

Bill

05/04/2010 10:50 PM
SpringsteenDub

Berearanger, I can truly relate when you say logic gives way to the anxiety. It is very frustrating.

Beautifulmind, I experience the same feelings when I am inside. I have left many a function to get outside and go for a run.

In the past year or so I have been quick to turn to alcohol for relief. I am now realizing that I only cause more damage in doing so and am working to limit the boozing.

05/04/2010 11:14 PM
Skye35
Skye35  

I get the spasms and my whole body cramps up. When I am having an anxiety attack I call a friend to help me to talk me through it. I try to do visualization and deep breathing but sometimes I can't even do that. I have xanax to help me calm down too. But sometimes I am so in the middle of the attack that I can't even think straight enough to remember to take it. My friends help me through. Have you taken the xanax yet? They talk to me, they help me breathe, they let me scream, cry, sob. Whatever it is to help me get through. I don't know what I would do without my friends.

05/04/2010 11:18 PM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have pretty heavy social anxiety. Generalized, as well, but that's more manageable for me. The social anxiety, however, is a b*tch. Not even 10 mg of Valium works. I usually take two of those and a back just in case. Unfortunately, my pdoc had to take me off of Valium because the service I go through isn't legally allowed to prescribe benzos.

Not sure what I'm going to do about this, but I can definitely feel the generalized creeping up in me. I have one natural remedy, but she's not available 24/7. Sad Laughing

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved