MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/29/2010 02:17 PM

Trauma of a different kind

dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

Yesterday the internet was down at work so I went home to fetch my laptop. I got there and my living room window was wide open .. it's never like that. Then I drove in and saw a whole lot of my daughter's pretty bags strewn across the lawn. A burglary. I went inside and they had ransacked my entire house. Every drawer and cupboard shelf had been emptied out and thrown on the floor. Even my daughter's toys had been rifled through. So my laptop was stolen as well as cellphone, camera and some other stuff. I was really freaked out but no more so than anyone else I guess. I handled it pretty well, lots of tears and I felt sick about the fact that they'd been in my house and touched all my stuff. Dealt with police etc but I must say that it was a traumatic experience. I'm staying at my brother's for a couple of nights, just can't be there at night right now. I was proud of myself that in spite of all that I was going through, no panic attack, no hecticness. After the fact I felt wiped out, but no depression. I guess I'm saying that my meds are working and I'm pretty balanced. But more than that I've been through a terrible thing and need some support. And I don't have a laptop so am doing my best to be here. Please send calm thoughts my way. Thanks & hugs, Bridget Smile

04/29/2010 02:37 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

That is absolutely horrible. I think I would have lost it for a little bit. That is very traumatic. No laptop, I can't imagine being without a computer, it would ruin me. Do you have insurance?? They should cover it if you do. I don't blame you for staying at your brother's house for a few nights! Even your cell phone, they took everything that makes you feel secure!! What assholes they are whoever did it. One good thing though is you kept it together, I'm very proud of you for that. It's a major accomplishment and really does mean your meds are working for you!! Keep us up to date on what's happening will you?? I really feel for you and hope it all turns out ok for you. Big hugs to you and you are very brave!! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

04/29/2010 04:14 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Oh Bridget I am so terribly sorry, there is nothing worse than having your privacy invaded like that. I wish I could be there with you right now, I wish we were not so friggen far away. You are truly handling it so well, I am so proud of you. From the way it sounds going through your cabinets and such they must have been looking for hidden valuables, many people hide jewlery in food pantrys and stuff. I learned that from the police once when my friends home was broken into we couldnt understand why they went through her food boxes. Most times its junkies taking valuables to sell. I am sorry they got your laptop and cell phone that sucks! Do you have insurance to cover your stolen items? Do you have a desktop or was that your only computer at home? I feel soooo heartbroken for you. I know that feeling inside when someone invades your privacy and it is not good but you are strong and you will get through this I am just glad you and Emma are safe and were not home. You will get past this, I am happy you will be with your brother for a few days to have someone to lean on while its still fresh. We are all here for you, I love you girl. PM me or email as much as you need to, I am here day or night. Love, massive hugs and many blessing, Stacey Smile

04/30/2010 07:25 AM
RobsBaby
RobsBabyPosts: 91

Wow, Bridget...that is great that you are handling such a traumatic experience so well! I usually am great on the "up front", and then crumble later. Be good to yourself for a few days, great idea! Hugs from me! Smile

Shelley

04/30/2010 09:26 AM
SCarlson

I am so sorry! Glad everyone is okay and you handled it very well! Hang in there...Thoughts and prayers sent out to you.

04/30/2010 09:30 AM
Hopefulsoul

I'm really sorry you're going through all that. You should be proud of yourself for how you're handling it.

Sending you a big hug, Hope x

04/30/2010 02:52 PM
owutatangledweb
owutatangledwebPosts: 2771

So sorry Bridget. I hope things calm down quickly for you. You're a strong person. <HUGS AND PRAYERS>

04/30/2010 02:57 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I haven't heard from you yet I am thinking of you and hope you are holding up ok, you are a tough cookie. Let us know how you are when you are able to. Love and Gigantic Hugs to you and Emma, Stacey Wink

04/30/2010 09:18 PM
beautifulmind
beautifulmind  

Bridget,

I am so very sorry that you had to go through that but I am very happy that you and your daughter are safe. As Stacey said having your privacy invaded like that is horrible and being robbed makes you definitely feel vulnerable and brings home the grim reminder that there are ugly people in the world. Honey, I want you to know that you and your daughter are on my mind. Noone should have to go through that, and you are strong for handling this the way you are. However, if you need to break down I'm here for you anytime. Things can be replaced but you and your daughter are priceless. I hope they catch the fools that did this to you. Love and hugs to you right now along with a prayer for peace of mind through all of this. Stay with family as long as you need because you need time to sort through all of this.

05/02/2010 03:01 PM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

Thanks for all the support and care, it means a lot to me. I'm back home tonight and feeling better. I need to put it all behind me and move on now. Fortunately I do have comprehensive insurance so everything will be covered. As I needed a laptop urgently things were fast tracked and I'm sitting using my new black beauty right now Wink I'm loving it !! the rest of the stolen items will be settled next week.

I am still a bit skittish and have put up less transparent curtains in my kitchen for example. But this will pass and I know that God is protecting me, the fact that my daughter and I weren't home is a blessing. God is so good, my brother actually lives in the UK, is here for a couple of months. For just a few weeks he has been house sitting down the road from me ... things worked so well that I could be with him but still close to school and work etc. My needing to be out of my house actually allowed us 4 days of special family time together. So all worked out well Smile

On the BP front it has shown me that I am strong, I can hold it together when the going gets tough. The most precious gift that has come through my healing is that my relationship with my brother has been restored. We can now communicate and enjoy each other like we used to do in the old old days. There are none of the symptoms that almost destroyed us, this long road to finding the right meds has produced another blessing.

Thanks again to you al for your thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Bridget Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved