MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/15/2010 12:49 PM

switching tdocs

mouseam
mouseam  

Today was my last day of IOP, YAY! But now, it got me thinking. I've only been to my outside therapist twice. I sat and thought, "if I had a crisis who would I call?" Sadly, my tdoc's name did not come to my head. So, I decided to switch. I have a place confirming my insurance now, then they are calling me to make an appointment. Hopefully can get one this week (now that I realize I have some more visits left!)

How picky is everyone with their tdoc? I know it might be much to ask, but I would prefer a tdoc with a front office, etc. (My old one didn't) I don't know, what really kinda urked me with my current (and soon to be old), was I cancelled an appointment because of my IOP, and she never called me. Not to confirm the cancellation, nothing. Also, she won't give me a standing appointment (which I need for work) Is it too much to ask?

02/15/2010 01:05 PM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well, people "interview" primary docs before choosing, so why not therapists? Find someone you're comfortable with and will work with what you need. Mine would email me to say "hi", or ask how I was feeling.

So no, I don't think its too much to ask to get the things that you need, both for yourself and for work.

Patrick

02/15/2010 01:07 PM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

I was very particular about the tdoc I wanted, my pdoc referred me to her. She works in a practice with 4 others and is booked up weeks in advance (always a good sign Wink). They offered me someone else and I said no, waited on a cancellation list til I saw her. She was an integral part of my healing so I wouldn't settle for second best. There is an entire front office, very professional and I like that. She schedules appointments in her diary and I had a standing one every week.

So to answer your question, it's not too much to ask, it's the way it should be. I hope you find the help you need soon. Good luck. Bridget Smile

02/15/2010 01:24 PM
mouseam
mouseam  

Thanks guys! Smile I appreciate it.

I already heard back from the tdoc's office I called. I have an appointment tomorrow at 6pm! It's just an evaulation to see what level of care I need, which therapist in their practice they think I should see, etc. The recptionist was super nice! (gosh! I can spell today, right?!?!) I am very impressed already with the level of professionalism from this office. Hopefully, I'll be just as sastifed with their level of care.

The only bummer is my insurance only allows 20 visits a year! I can't even go once a week! I have the most expensive plan my insurance has to offer too! I am kinda upset by this... I hate how insurance can dictate your level of care.

02/17/2010 03:05 AM
mouseam
mouseam  

Just wanted to give a quick update. I went to the tdoc initial assessment last night. So far, I am extremely happy. I am the assessment with the Clinical Director, who had a cancellation before me, and called me to see if I wanted to come in earlier, when I didn't answer he called again. I was very impresseed with both his ability to make it personal, yet still remain extremely professional. After he assessed me, he decided which doctor would be best for me in there practice. Turns out the doctor he picked works great with my schedule too!

This will be my first time with a 'full time' male tdoc. I've had a couple do assessments, but never a regular one (in my IOP or PHP programs). I am excited, I think this might be a winner! I might switch my pdoc over to the same practice, as well.

02/17/2010 04:21 AM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That's great news. I'm glad you're happy with the new clinic. Hope all goes well with it.

Patrick

02/17/2010 10:24 AM
Lrose35
Lrose35  

I hope everything works out well for you. It sounds like you found a winner. Perhaps switching your pdoc to that practice also will work well for you if you have questions about the pdoc you have now. It would definitely be more convenient. Good Luck. We are all pulling for you!

02/17/2010 12:25 PM
marisaH
marisaHPosts: 357

Many moons ago before my diagnosis, I worked in a large psych practice. It was very beneficial for the patients to have their therapists and psychiatrists in the same office. It really upped their level of care. The clinicians were able to communicate with each other about their mutual patients to give them the best possible treatment. That office was in another state. When I was diagnosed, I looked for a practice like that in this area but couldn't find one.

02/17/2010 07:02 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My pdocs office is not large but has tdocs as well like where you worked, I just havent wanted to see a therapist again. I used to see one for a long time a few years ago but I just didnt get much out of it so I stopped, that was me though. It is good to know that if I need or want one they are right there. My previous one was not in the same practice.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved