MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/29/2010 09:22 AM

Why am I so paranoid?

Godsavedthisone

The past few months I have started getting paranoid. It started off being scarde to get in the van, with the fear of someone being in the back seat. Thank God, for there being interior lights! Though I have to say it is a good way of being cautious. Then a few weeks later I started getting scarde to open up my front door. I really believe someone is going to be on the otherside or in the van, and I will be rapped and killed.

I never have has these problems, I used to be fearless. Like walking home from work in the middle of the night. Though it was before I was diagnoset and put on medication. I chacked out my medication to make sure there were no side effects, there wasn't, so now what is it that is going on with me? I do have a history of anxiety but it is social and calustrophic. Hopefully one of you all can help me out. Thank you.

01/29/2010 10:24 AM
FatherKarras
FatherKarras  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well, I don't have any real solutions, unless specific bp meds can help. I do know the feeling, though. I have an irrational fear of police, even though I have known a few throughout the years. I get paranoid every time I see one, whether I'm driving or sitting in the house, looking out the window.

From what I've been reading on here, and what little the pdocs have told me (I just switched to a new one, and she has been a lot more informative on meds and stuff), it's not unusual for bp II sufferers to have anger (me) irrationality (me) and paranoia (me) in addition to the depression (me). Others on here may know if things like Lamictal, etc. will help with that.

Patrick

01/29/2010 10:36 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Don't freak out by this because some do but your pdoc may need to add an anti psychotic to your meds. I suffer from Paranoia and Psychosis and anti psychotics have helped both tremendously. Many sufferers take them that don't even have Paranoia or Psychosis. It is just part of their med regimen. You should definately speak to your pdoc about these new feelings, it's very important. Good luck. Hugs Stacey Wink

Post edited by: MissStacey, at: 01/29/2010 10:38 AM

01/29/2010 10:37 AM
marisaH
marisaHPosts: 357

I am paranoid at times as well. I am irrationally fearful when I am by myself. I attribute it to too much Law and Order...lol. When I am walking my very large dog with pepper spray in my pocket, you think I would feel perfectly safe, but I don't. Every person I pass is a potential attacker/rapist. I've actually turned around and walked the other direction from certain people! I get very fearful when someone knocks at the door. I am worried that someone is going to sneak under the garage door when it is closing behind me. The list goes on and on. I really think it is just a byproduct of bipolar anxiety. It is irrational thinking. I have to combat it just like any other irrational thoughts that I have.

01/29/2010 11:06 AM
Godsavedthisone

I appriciate yalls input, marisaH, I think it is time for you and I both to stop watching Law and Order, lol. I have not talked to my doctor yet, I do not want to be put on anymore meds! I take enough. I do take klonopin .05mg once a day (supposed to be twice a day) but I don't feel like it is working. And, talking to a doctor about being on a controled substance when I used to do drugs, it is almost impossible. It took six months before I got these, and it was because I went into the doctors offce under a complete crisis. I do not know what to do, hopefully something will be figured out. I greatly appriciate yall again, this informed me that I am not the only one, and what I am going through seems to be "normal". Again thanks and God bless!

01/29/2010 11:45 AM
dizzyb
dizzyb  
VIP Member

I can relate to how you feel. Before I was diagnosed, I panicked if I got home after dark (hard in winter) and imagined someone lurking in the bushes. I left all the car lights on, dashed to the front door with my heart pounding, quickly opened up and dashed back to get my stuff. I never drove at night for fear that my daughter and I would be attacked. And so it went on. I must say that being on the mood-stabilisers helped, finding the right anti-anxiety made a huge difference, but I still had paranoia about a lot of things. When I was in hospital I was put onto an anti-psychotic which cleared all of that up. Also took away the hysteria I had amongst other things. I understand your concern about using substances, but please consider this. It could change your life.

Wishing you peace and calm. Bridget Smile

Post edited by: dizzyb, at: 01/29/2010 11:46 AM

01/29/2010 12:53 PM
mmm3
mmm3  

Your comments about Law & Order are similar to my battle with television news. Seven months ago, I gave up watching television. I had anxiety verging on paranoia. TV newscasts and the little "coming up on the news tonight" commercials enhanced the feelings.

Now, I find it easier to cope with negative thoughts. I occasionally watch tv at friends' homes. When I see the "scary" news, I'm able to see it as a temporary negative that will go away. I know the world is not entirely doom & gloom. However, I am about to post my winter trials & tribulations. The 13th through the 21st of Jan. were particularly bad.

01/29/2010 01:00 PM
RickEJ
RickEJ  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Your not alone. When I'm home alone I check the behind the shower curtain. Sometimes I'm scared to goto the mail box that everyoen is watching me. I too am parinoid when I see the police. Its not often that I'm not. I keep all the doors locked even though I live in a good neighborhood, its all Marines or ex-Marines.

Just because I'm paranoid doesnt mean their not watching me W00t lol

I have my good days and bad days.

01/29/2010 05:09 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Yeah, Saved, these feelings are pretty "normal" for bipolar; there are meds that can help that, and don't worry, you're not on enough if they're not working as well as you need them to! I take Lamictal for a mood stabilizer (essential if you have bp; it's the most important med, whichever one you take! Abilify, an antipsychotic, is a good add-on to your mood stabilizer, and it's not used just for psychosis! It is also for BP, and it's just about eliminatd my mood swings and wild thoughts - and I'm not psychotic. (A little eccentric,maybe... Whistling ) But this combination I'm on works excellently for me, and I hope you can find a similar combo that wotks great for you, too! Don't give up. You'll get there - I have faith in you.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved