MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/25/2011 04:55 AM

Absences

MyBPteen

Sad They seem all too common where my daughter is concerned. Does anyone else have this issue? It's actually reached a point where the 2 woman who take the calls at the main office of my daughter's school recognize my voice before I even say my daughter's name! Every progress report states “absences effecting grades”.

Today she is absent again, her head is pounding & she has rings under her eyes from being up all night with this. This makes absence # 12 this 1st quarter. Excluding her hospitalization this is the 4th day absent for various medication or BP reasons. Surely I can't be the only parent here who worries about this?

Blink

10/25/2011 06:07 AM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

You are not alone! Last week alone my daughter out Wed.-Fri. I am worried sick over it. I don't know what to do. She is in eighth grade and I really want her to finish this year in public school. I am really thing about home school for next year though. I am afraid to do that because it is my only break when she is at school.Hugs my friend I know what your going through Smile

10/25/2011 05:23 PM
whoknowsy
whoknowsy  

We homeschooled my son in 6th grade due to all the absences he had accumulated in the 1st half. It was hard, but he passed. He barely made it through 7th grade (again, due to absences). Now, in 8th grade, not even through the first nine weeks, and he has missed at least 15 days...honestly, I have lost count. I am taking him out as soon as I have my paperwork completed for homeschooling again (should be by the end of the week). I feel like this is the right thing to do because he is so unstable right now. I'm not even worrying about the academic aspect right now...it's much more important for him to be stable.

I hate that others are going through this because I know how horrible it is for our family and how much pain the bad times cause.

10/25/2011 09:54 PM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

Hello whoknowsy! May I ask what home school you go threw and what you use? How hard it is for him to receive you as his teacher? I am afraid it will make our home life even worse! I am so confused on what to do. Hugs to you it is so hard on us all!

10/26/2011 06:17 AM
MyBPteen

My daughter & I have been working with the special education office at our school district here. After her State Hospitalization & her having missed 7 months of school in regular school I had a CSE meeting & the district classified her as a student w/an emotional disability. Do you guys have an IEP in place, do you need to have a CSE meeting to get approval to home school?

They have her now in a BOCES with a small student to teacher ratio (8 kids to 1 teachers assistant & 1 teacher). The home district pays for everything & provides transportation door to door & back again.

When I asked about home schooling I was told, and continue to be told that in our case that home schooling would be too "isolating" for my daughter & that she need's the exposure to other students & teachers and staff. I also always wondered how compliant my daughter would be to ME teaching her as apposed to a teacher & classroom setting. I think I would end up with a battle on my hands.

How are you holding up where mood swings & the lulls and highs in energy levels where Bipolar kids are concerned?

Thanks!

10/26/2011 06:58 AM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

We do have an IEP in place. We just had our IEP for this year (you should see some posts on it in this group or some of my other groups). I don't know what a CSE meeting is. So is that program a home school program? I thought to be home schooled you were at home?

To be honest about holding up I am not really! This site and NAMI keep me going Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved