MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/26/2010 12:10 PM

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

MarybethSmith
MarybethSmith  

I'm not a teen with BP...well not anymore. But I WAS. Now I'm just an adult dealing with the illness. In this past year my 7 yr old was diagnosed as well. I've dealt with the illness all my life but wasn't diagnosed till I was 26. I'm high functioning on my meds, as I've gone off hem enough times to realized it's not worth it, but meds don't seem to be doing the job for my little guy.

I'm wondering if those who were diagnosed early on, like my son, feel the struggle has been a bit easier because they grew up knowing what was happening. Or if it's always going to be a struggle with him, even if he's on meds?

I appreciate all feed back. And if you ever need someone to chat with. I was there once. I remember it well (thanks to journaling) and I'd love to offer my support.

Hugs!

06/26/2010 01:28 PM
smileyme
smileymePosts: 38

Hey, I'm Sienna! Laughing I'm 14 but I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was 11, so it hasn't been THAT long, but it has felt like it's been a long time. I guess I'm not that big of a help since I'm still pretty young, but I still struggle with it quite alot. I get through it, and I keep on going, so I think I've been getting a little better..but then other times I feel like it's just so terrible. I dunno if that helped but hopefully it did! Laughing If you need anything else feel free to Private Message me!

06/26/2010 09:16 PM
patton

Hey, Im Fred

I know how you feel to have Bipolar Disorder.

I can relate to you when you say that you feel terrible sometimes and other times you feel ok. I hope that you will continue to heal and get better because hope is the most important thing that there is. I look forward to talking to you.

04/04/2011 08:09 AM
rhiannonbruce

Hi im rhiannon Smile

i was diagnosed last year just after my 17th birthday, however it feels like a lifetime.

as fred said above i can also relate to the ups and downs of bipolar because my cycles are very rapid.

one minuete i was laughing uncontrollably (more like a forced laugh than acctually happy laugh) and then other times i dont want to be here anymore.

im on strong meds, which afew weeks ago i decided not to take anymore...i know reolise how much i need them.

hope everything works out ok xxx

04/23/2011 06:11 PM
MarybethSmith
MarybethSmith  

You are all very helpful Smile

I stopped taking my meds about three times before I actually learned my lesson. So don't feel bad.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved