MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/20/2008 11:35 AM

An Invitation to Save Your Life(page 2)

Gypsy
Gypsy  

Hey Unsure, were you in any wars?

Gloria, I was thinking about what you just said...I was on probation, and they have you so structured you can't move!! When, I got off, I lost it. That makes a lot of sense. I was able to manage pretty well with all of the requirements, and support from the P.Os

03/20/2008 12:15 PM
unsurefuture28

Gypsy,

I got out around 9-11, so I missed desert storm as well as Iraq. I do agree that the stucture could have been the determining factor. That is something that I have never really had. My parents were both disabled (mentally)during my childhood, and so I would never know what the day would be like after school, becuase they were both dependent on each other due to their own instabilities. I always found myself yearing for the "son this is how to be a man" and all that great father son stuff.(which I think the military helped instill to a certain point. My Parents seemed to be too concerned with arguing all the time, that you just get lost in the happiness you can build for yourself inside your head. Sounds sad but as an eight year old that has no idea why his homelife is different from others, you learn to overcome as a means for survival.

03/20/2008 02:56 PM
Gypsy
Gypsy  

Hi unsure,

Are you seeking counseling, too. I am in therapy, and it has helped me alot with sorting out my childhood, and other stuff. I am also getting help with sorting out whats my bipolar, and what's my own stuff.

I relate you alot as far as your homelife.

03/20/2008 03:22 PM
unsurefuture28

At the present time no, but one thing that I have warmed up alot to lately, is that ones "Recovery" or Road to "Happiness" is not done without multiple forms of treatment in alot of cases. The more I have read this forum and others like it, I have realized that these diff. forms of treatment serve specific purposes in the healing process, and to leave or single one out may not produce optimum results. I guess the hardest part is learning/forcing yourself to be more consistant with things and follow things through from start to finish. Well, those are some of my current "issues"

Before I left counseling the first and only time, she did bring up E.M.D.R. which somehow correlates with tramatic experiences in our lifes. Have you ever heard that some people, when faced with tramatic events, that remind them of past/childhood tramatic events, there're thinking pattern reverts back to whatever age they were why it took place? This is suppossed to, from how I took it in, was supposed to help resurface those emotions and feelings while being in a state to deal with them. And eventually, as you let them go, they won't effect you as much or if at all..Hell thought of them might even empower you. Eventhough, I wasn't able to experience it, can't you tell I'm a fan Tongue

03/20/2008 04:05 PM
Gypsy
Gypsy  

Hey there,

That is also called age regression. I have experienced That. It might be good to be careful with that though. You have to make sure the person is back to the present before sending them home. They could have a emosional break down. When my therapist does anything similar, she makes sure, I am okay to go out in public, before she lets me go home. You really have to be ready for it, too.

I didn't go to therapy for a long time since the last time. I also had to try a couple before, I picked the right one. Same with pdocs. I just saw my pdoc, today, and she passed me off to the MD in the same office. I am relieved. We were at a place of frustration. I had tried all of the meds she had, and She was at a dead end with me.

This is the 4th one, so far.

12/24/2011 06:46 PM
lost2me

Post edited by: lost2me, at: 12/24/2011 06:48 PM

02/27/2012 08:37 PM
cetacean
cetacean  

Im not bi polar nor do I drink or do street drugs of any kind. I do have a concern about my best friend who is Bi polar and drinks alcohol and smokes pot. At this point I understand that is a major contributor to her current manic state. How do I help her? is there anything I can do? if so how do I approach her with it?

08/02/2012 08:39 AM
Somesomesome

My whole family is alcoholic. Drug users. I found out I was bipolar before a psychiatrist did because it's in every thread of my family. I'm the only one that wasn't an alcoholic. Wasn't bipolar. Wasn't a heavy drug user. But that's a lie. I'm all of those things. I was just lucky. I stopped drinking. I stopped doing drugs. The depressed cloud lifted. I though hey I'm not like the others. Until I cycled from depressed to mania. I have manic episodes now. It's terrifying at first but then isn't it better than being depressed? I don't know. I never want a family or kids. No one deserves this. I don't know why my family is still in the middle of the storm of drug abuse and alcohol having families.

08/04/2012 04:06 PM
claude8it
claude8itPosts: 1079

Yes I am dual diagnosed. I was diagnosed with Bipolar a couple years after getting clean and sober. I didn't really recognize that anything was wrong while I was using; or the lines were so blurred that I couldn't see what was what. But after having continuous sobriety and working the steps, then I could see that something was clearly off base and sought treatment.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved