MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/19/2009 03:00 PM

lamictal and blood work

midnightoker4220
midnightoker4220  

I just met with my Pdoc today and he told me I would have to get blood drawn every so often to check levels. Ive heard of that for Lithium but not lamictal? Does anyone else taking lamictal have to get blood drawn? Ive been on 200 mg of lamictal and 3mg of risperdal for a couple months now btw. The reason i ask is i hate needles!!!! Shocked

08/19/2009 03:10 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I've read about the blood draw for lamictal, but even though I take it I don't think that they've checked my levels.

Although I do take lithium too, so maybe they checked them both at once.

08/19/2009 03:38 PM
Stellarvore
Stellarvore  

I don't have blood drawn for lamictal.

I'm terrified of having blood drawn in a medical context.

They give me tranquilizers for it. Good ones.

08/19/2009 04:15 PM
Heythr5
Heythr5  

I dont have my blood drawn either but I am only on 75 mg of lamictal.

08/19/2009 04:30 PM
ExyLexy
ExyLexy  

My pdoc never mentioned that to me. I have yet to recieve any blood work.

(For lamictal)

Lexis

Post edited by: ExyLexy, at: 08/19/2009 04:33 PM

08/19/2009 05:17 PM
undertoe
undertoe  

I am just starting with Lamictal, nothing about blood work has been mentioned to me.

08/19/2009 05:24 PM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I've been on Lamictal for 4 years and now take 400 mg a day. No blood work has ever been done. I see nothing about that in the literature or sites that give drug information.

08/19/2009 05:46 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

I've never had blood drawn and was on lamictal for years....am just now starting it again...

08/20/2009 04:21 AM
Marimac

Two years on Lamictal, no blood test at all.

08/26/2009 05:27 PM
annk

I take Lamictal for epilepsy and they have taken my blood numerous times to be sure the concentraion of the medicine in my body is within the right range. Peoples bodies metabloize medications differently and for some people this means that the level of medication in the body will not be the same as the next. It's important to see where the med. conc. is in your body because it could be too high and cause toxicity without even knowing it. When I first started on Lamictal I was in like every 2 wks getting it cheked and then my Dr would correlate the med. conc. with my symptoms. I'm not sure if this is the same reason why your dr. is doing it, but thats what I know. Also, sometimes if you are on different medications, they can skew the conc. level of the lamictal in the body. For example birth control pills, they decrease the effect of lamictal and so my dose needed to be adjusted and we based it on what my lamictal level was in my bld. So if your on any other medications, this could be a reason too. Hope that helps

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved