MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/04/2009 12:35 PM

clinical vs. private psychiatry

partygirl

Has anyone ever been to a private psychiatrist? I'm wondering if seeing a private psych would be more beneficial for me. I have an appointment scheduled but don't want to go if it's no different than clinical. My doctor and nurses won't return my calls now and I'm desperate for some help. I've been struggling really bad with my depression and I think everyone at the clinic I go to has either given up or is just in it for the money and not to help me. I need someone that will sit down, talk to me and give me some new medication because the stuff I'm on now (wellbutrin) is not working.

The private psych doctor I called yesterday actually returned my phone calls. In fact, he called me three times! I really have a good feeling about him but the downside is that my insurance doesn't cover hardly anything because he's out of network. The secretary even told me that this psychiatrist will not see a patient for under 30 minutes. The minimum check-up visit is 30 minutes if not more.

It's $300 for the first visit and $175 for the following visits. I know this would be very expensive, but like I said, I'm so desperate. I do not want to go back to the ER or inpatient and somedays I get very close. He told me that he will try his hardest to keep me from going back in the hospital. I feel like he may actually care about his patients. Am I being too hopeful? Do you think it's worth the money?

08/04/2009 02:18 PM
latticetx

I see a private psychiatrist. Every office visit is an hour plus. She takes the time to listen to my issues with medication and asks pertinent questions to make sure I am on the right track.

I know alot of people have to go through the county mental health facilities, but if you can find a pdoc that works well with you...it is a huge blessing!

08/04/2009 02:43 PM
jillybeans

I am just beginning to look for a Pdoc that will see me , as now I see the local mental health Pdoc. I am finding alot of Pdocs near me aren`t what I call talking pdocs, they want you to come from a therapist that they work with.

I would love to have a Pdoc to listen to me for an hour ......Do you also use him as the therapist ?

Post edited by: jillybeans, at: 08/04/2009 04:29 PM

08/04/2009 04:22 PM
latticetx

not really...but..she does ask therapist type questions...I personally think she is just super careful to make sure I am stable with meds and such.

08/04/2009 06:02 PM
partygirl

I'm just so tired of waiting one month to get an appointment to visit with a psych doc for 10 minutes. It just doesn't make any sense? How can that doctor make any diagnosis or treat if they don't listen?

08/04/2009 06:07 PM
jillybeans

partygirl., I totally agree with you, it is ridiculous!!!

08/04/2009 06:33 PM
harobed
harobed  

I've only had private pdocs. Some take time, some just do what I call "med checks" with different personal temperaments. I cannot afford to go out of network and I'm worried that this new pdoc I've been referred to is going to dump me.

But in answer to your actual question, the Hilton is always nicer than the super 8.

H.

08/04/2009 06:36 PM
LooseCanonGoneBipolar
LooseCanonGoneBipolarPosts: 142

Hey partygirl, I have been paying for private sessions since last october and it is well worth it. If he called you three times then that is a WONDERFUL sign..... he cares. My guy is not in my insurance network either. I called my insurance company and they stated that if his credintials were there they would pay 50%. My guy runs $525 an hour and I see him every monday for one hour. THAT IS WAY MOORE THAN MOST however when I fell so low that I want to die, I called his answering service at 3am. He called be back by 3:10am and saw me the next day no charge for 2 hours. I have his cell and home number now. I realize that all will do this maybe my guy did because we live in a small city, little rock. But if the guy called you THREE times before you have seen him........ THEN GO, PLEASE give him one shot in person. To find someone who cares that much is rare.

08/04/2009 06:47 PM
AppleG

It sounds like he is a good doc to give you a call back three times. And latticetx, I'm super jealous. My doc's office has an answering service and if it's an emergency they say go to the ER!

08/04/2009 06:47 PM
partygirl

Wow. You have one special doctor. It's so good to hear that there are doctors out there that care. Yesterday morning I faxed out a brief letter to my doctor, psych doctor and therapist about how bad I was feeling and nobody has called me back. And can you believe that my family doctor's nurse actually told me (in other words) to stop calling because there's nothing they can do??? That broke my heart!! It literally crushed me. How can someone, especially someone in the medical field, be so cold to someone as fragile as me? It just sent me deeper into depression.

I really, really want to give this guy a shot. I am so desperate right now you have no idea. I don't have a lot of money though. I don't know how often I would be able to see him. I really wish money was never an issue. It shouldn't be an issue. But it is. Sad

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved