MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/02/2009 04:37 AM

Lamictal makes OCD worse in Bipolar II?(page 2)

mem5003

hi , i was on lamictal for close to a year, it was a whirlwind year i tell ya- anyways i quit taking it (all my meds) 4-5 months ago- lamictal to me was uncomfortable, i was louder than o like to be, i would talk n talk n talk, kinda crazy making! also, it made my hair thin out pretty bad too. sucky!

12/21/2009 12:53 PM
Jamble

I am sure Lamictal has exacerbated my OCD. I noticed it almost immediately after I began taking the at a very low dose. I also became irritable. My doctor had never heard of this side-effect and wants to combat it by increasing my dosage.

I typically have less than common side-effects with certain drugs. I tried a Seroquel a while ago and it made me intensly irritable (DHEA did the same thing too).

12/22/2009 03:44 PM
debiski
debiski  
VIP Member

I have OCD and have been on Lamictal for maybe a year or so (for the second time). I'm on a fairly high dose (600mg/day) and I can attest to the fact that my OCD has flourished in this time.

I cannot honestly blame Lamictal as I am on 7 different meds, but now that I think about it...it does kind of fit.

My OCD had pretty much gone into hiding for a few years, but now it's back with a vengeance. My obsession is numbers. Odd numbers. I count everything I do and have to do it an odd number of times (seven seems to be my favorite). This can be very interruptive when you're running late for something and you're making yourself even LATER because you are repeating acts that you don't need to.

I've also become a crazy hand washer--to the point of having cracking and bleeding hands that look terrible. I guess germs have a big effect on me. Dizzy

I've never read about the correlation between Lamictal and OCD, but I know that since I've been on meds my OCD has returned when I thought I was "cured". I HATE it and I hate that I can't stop it. Angry

Post edited by: debiski, at: 12/22/2009 03:48 PM

12/22/2009 04:24 PM
Jamble

My OCD had been gone for over a decade. It came back the week I started on Lamictal. There is no way this is a coincidence. Have you noticed any increase in irritability?

04/05/2010 09:23 PM
Magdalene
MagdalenePosts: 12

This is very interesting. I was searching for lamictal and obsession - never been diagnosed with OCD only Bi-POlar II. Anyway, I have definitely noticed obsessive thinking since starting lamictal 3 weeks ago.

I can't stop listening to the beatles. if it is not THe Beatles, I really just don't want to hear it.

Also have become very obsessed with a person. Think every action has a hidden meaning. It has gotten progressively worse since starting and slowly increasing the dose.

Also, not only having trouble sleeping but I don't want to sleep - I want to dwell in my obsessive thinking. I guess I need to talk this over with my Doctor when I see her THursday.

Otherwise it has been a wonder drug. meaning - I am no longer depressed and I am not interested in self medicating with alcohol and drugs. This has been a problem for me for 20 years, so this is no small thing. i have been on every other med with lousy side effects and they also DIDN'T work.

I have been cranky/irritable at times but it is mild.

Must admit - feels similar to being hypomanic - but it is somewhat different. hard to say

04/05/2010 09:47 PM
checksinthemail
checksinthemail  

Hi Magdalene and welcome to MDJ.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about that. But the positives seem great. From what I've seen the side effects of Lamictal are better than the others. Maybe he can back off the dose?

Updating my Pubmed reading on "OCD and Lamictal" shows a new study, released less than two week ago.

Oh this is too much:

J Psychopharmacol. 2010 Mar;24(3):425-7.

Lamotrigine as an augmentation agent in treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder: a case report.

http://is.gd/bgvjc

ends with: "....This case suggests some preliminary evidence that the addition of glutamatergic agent lamotrigine may be useful in treatment-resistant OCD."

It's hard to say what it is, but Lamictal has some effect positive and negative on OCD.

It seems to augment dopamine release? Or is it an effect of not drinking/drugs? When I went off alcohol, things got weird for about 3 weeks (confusion with regard to word choice at times).

Congratulations again on conquering your "no small thing" Laughing

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved