MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/21/2009 02:44 PM

anyone take risperdal or riseridone?

michelle024

my dr is starting me on this tomorrow and just wanted to know how ppl who have tried it liked it....i know everyone is different but just wondering. any bad side effects? im starting out at .5mg then 1mg then going up to 2mg.

06/21/2009 03:22 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I've been on Risperdal for the past 3 years. I take 6mg/day for voices, delusions and paranoia. It did not work well for me at first, but once my pdoc added Klonopin to help control my rapid cycling, it started to relieve my symptoms considerably and now they are no longer an issue unless I'm manic, mixed, depressed, ill, sleep deprived or stressed. My moods are level most of the time thanks to my new med regimen, so I'm doing much better than I have been. When I started taking Risperdal, it made me feel extremely tired, but this gradually improved within 2 weeks of taking my first dose. I also gained quite a bit of weight, but I think this was also due to Depakote. I ended up losing all of the weight I gained after having several depressive episodes and am now currently holding at 114. Risperdal has been a good med for me and seems to be the only one (as far as typical antipsychotics go) that relieves my symptoms to a satisfactory degree.

06/21/2009 03:37 PM
michelle024

thank you neondreams. i have tried abilify and seroquel both gave me pretty bad side effects. i hope this drug works out for me Smile. oh and i also rapid cycle.

06/21/2009 03:47 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

How often do you rapid cycle? Do you take any meds for it or do the meds you take control it pretty well? My moods cycle several times/hour and sometimes every minute. However, ever since my pdoc put me on Klonopin, my rapid cycling has been reduced to once/day. I hope Risperdal works well for you. Do you mind if I ask what you are taking it for? Are you taking it for mania or irritability?

06/21/2009 03:56 PM
michelle024

i am taking it for to help stabalize my moods by i guess controling my mania but also cuz i see things that other ppl dont see...this is the main reason.

i cycle ever few days to every few weeks. my depression episodes seem to last longer than my manic episodes but maybe thats all in my head since i hate the depression but kinda enjoy the manic episodes.

06/21/2009 03:59 PM
michelle024

oh yeah...im not on any other drugs cuz i was just recently diagnosed with bp about 2 months ago.

06/21/2009 05:06 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Thanks for the explanation. Risperdal is considered a mood stabilizer, so that could be why your pdoc prescribed it. If you have any questions about bipolar, feel free to PM me anytime. I've been diagnosed with BPI for 3 years.

06/21/2009 05:08 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

A majority of people experience depressive episodes more than manic episodes. This used to be true for me in the early 90s, but now I have more manic episodes than depressive episodes.

I also wanted to mention that Risperdal is an antipsychotic as well that is used to treat auditory and visual hallucinations.

I hope you'll let me know how the Risperdal works for you. Good luck!

06/21/2009 06:19 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

I read a research study that shows that Risperidone causes fewer cognitive side effects (short term impairment) than Seroquel in a double blind crossover study....I've thought about asking to switch, but am not sure I want to risk the transition, and I tolerate Seroquel well.

Post edited by: bagofcandy, at: 06/21/2009 06:20 PM

06/21/2009 06:28 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

bagofcandy,

If you're doing well on Seroquel, it may be best to leave things be. Of course, that's just my opinion for what it's worth.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved