MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/26/2009 09:23 PM

Got approved for disability & now I feel funky!

rkc1964
rkc1964Posts: 252

Last month I spoke to my lawyer about my disability claim and he informed me I would be going before a judge sometime in the next 12 months and he collected updated medical info. After being denied twice and not expecting anything to happen any time soon I put it out of my mind. My husbands insurance plan changed in January and since then I have not been able to afford any of my meds besides the depakote so I have been cycling frequently. Last week we had a negative balance in the checking account and did not know what we were going to do until pay day but we have become used to living on a lot less since I stopped working. Friday I went to the mail box and there was a check from the Dept. of Treasury and a cancellation on our credit card because we have not paid on it for 3 or 4 months. I opened the credit card bill first and then the other envelope from the treasury. I was shocked and was sure it was scam. My husband about fainted when he saw the amount and could'nt believe it was for real. So I called social security and they said my disability had been approved for 6 months but the letter never got sent out explaining why they reversed the decision.

I thought I would be so happy when this day came but I soon found out it's a little bitter sweet. Thank God for my husband who takes care of all the money and the worries that go along with paying bills and such and he never let me worry about anything, he would just tell me how much I could spend or when to quit spending. He was so relieved and confessed he did'nt know how we were going to make it thru the summer. Me on the other hand have some severe mania going on and even though I don't want to spend money I wish in some odd way it was gone so I don't have to think about it. So me and my husband made a plan and paid almost all of it on past due bills and of coarse he had to have a new lawnmower, but whatever. I feel like in the long run it will be good but today I found that people are weird and say things like " Oh your certified crazy now" and they have no idea how that makes me feel because I never asked for BP and I tried to work for 29 years and would much prefer to work and be stable then stay at home just so I don't go out in public and kill someone when I having a bad day. The public and especially strangers are much safer when I am keep inside.

I made a appt. with my tdoc for Monday and plan to call the pdoc tomorrow and let them know I'm manic but other then that I really just need to vent and talk to people that understand. Thanks!

05/26/2009 10:22 PM
armymom8486
armymom8486  

rkc1964, Omgosh, I sure wish I would have read this earlier. I just got my award check in the mail last week and so far I have spent 5,000 dollars of it. I know crazy huh? Although the things I bought I have needed for a long time. I did get my teeth fixed and that was 2'500 of it. My teeth needed a lot of work and I have been waiting 2 years for the money so I could do it. I also funished my house. I went totally nuts.

I bought a whole living room set and dining set, I also bought a new desk top computer oh yeah and I bought things for the kitchen and my bedroom. My husband has now put a stop to it.

I feel the same way you do. I just want it to be gone so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I did put more than 1/2 of it into savings that can't be touched unless my husband signs for it with me.

I can't believe how easy it is to get carried away. It must be a bipolar thing or something huh? LOL I heart your face sweetheart, Jeanne

05/27/2009 07:16 AM
rkc1964

I found out today that SS gave my lawyer $3600 or 25% for his 4 hours of work when he appealed the 2nd deniel. But my lawyer may request up to 40% which leaves me paying him over $1500 more out of my money. Man - I want to be a lawyer! I am hoping he don't ask for more but if he does thats ok.

I have made a list like I do when I have so much stuff in my head and trying to stay focused on what needs done like my teeth - I also have let mine go for 2 years and now the time has come (I hate going to the dentist)

05/28/2009 06:07 AM
redphoenix
redphoenix  
VIP Member

Has anyone heard of people being successful getting disability on the first try? I see that most of you had to go through two rounds of appeals before getting anything.

I recently filed but now am not hopeful that I'll get it without lengthy appeals.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

05/28/2009 06:22 AM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

redphoenix, it is posible to get it on the first try but unlikely. It depends a lot on the circumstances and your diagnoses. It also depends on whether a dr. has actually written to them saying you can no longer work. It's really tricky. If you don't get it on the first try I suggest that as soon as you get that denial letter you run straight to a lawyer's office. Just a suggestion

I got my award in Dec. I thought I would be elated. I cried. When I heard that Judge say in my hearing that there was no work that I would be expected to do and they said it over and over, I left that hearing in tears. They didn't say that I had gotten it then but I knew because they just kept reading off possible jobs and saying no. I felt horrible. To have others say I was not able to work was very depressing. But then....I got the first check. Instant mania. I've been spending ever since. My thing is books. I have stacks and stacks and stacks. Oh, yeah, I bought a car. And a living room set. And a bed room set. And lots and lots of spring flowers. I'm going to the book store when my kids get home from school this afternoon. Fun, fun, fun...

05/28/2009 08:30 AM
rkc1964

I completly agree with rmm164 - when you get that first deniel run don't walk to a lawyer. They know exactly what to say and they take take care of everything from there on out and, you don't have to worry about getting medical records or anything just talk to them. Good Luck!

05/28/2009 02:56 PM
redphoenix
redphoenix  
VIP Member

Thanks for the great advice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out.

05/28/2009 06:26 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3166

Rkc, Boy I sure feel for you. Your disability is yet an other stuff up by a government department. We also have these stuff ups here.

The staff in these government departments do not have a clue just how their decisions/stuff ups can effect people Sad

JennyWren

05/28/2009 07:21 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm very happy for you rkc1964. You deserve this. Glad to hear you can start taking the meds you need to stay healthy and well. Hope you feel better real soon. Ermm

06/11/2009 10:36 AM
SassyBratt

I'm glad to hear you were approved. How long did the process take, and what do you feel you put in your application that made your case different from the thousands of other people who are routinely denied?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved