MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/04/2009 04:22 PM

Ever Take Your Meds Twice? What effect?

jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3163

Have been thinking that if I make a mistake in the am and take double my 300mgs of Lamictal what will happen?

I am under the effects still of Seroquel ie half asleep, when taking the Lamictal. I move the Lamictal into a different place this telle me I have not taken it, and then when I have taken it I move it back to the place where it stays till the next morning.

Has anyone accidently taken a double dose of their meds?

How did you get on?

JennyWren

03/04/2009 04:34 PM
Ele

I have taken a double dose of Effexor before and the pharmacist told me just to skip my next days dose. It made me agitated and jumpy. Felt like a mixed episode. Not a good feeling but it went away and I was fine. You might want to call a pharmacist or your pdocs office and just tell them what happened. They could give you advice. I don't take Lamictal so I am no help there.

03/04/2009 04:37 PM
JennyT

I've taken a double dose of almost all of my medications before, and that's why I finally bought a pill box. I've never had an major side effects, but I have experienced things similiar to what Ellie described. I think it would be a good idea to contact your pharmacist or your pdoc just to check.

03/04/2009 05:54 PM
zinnia
zinniaPosts: 3990
VIP Member

i've done it, too. i use a pillbox with all the days of the week on it and put all my meds in every sunday, or i keep them in little tins-one labeled "day" and one "night". whatever is working for me at the time to remember. if you're foggy in the morning, go for the pillbox and just fill it up like a habit every sunday night. then you won't have to worry or wonder. i know that's scary.

03/04/2009 06:11 PM
JennyT

Zinnia, that's what I have to do. I have a pretty blue pill box with all of the days of the week and an AM and PM chamber for each day. I'm usually too out of it when I take my meds, so I've actually taken double doses, wrong time of the day doses, no doses, etc, etc.

Drawback: My brother calls me a little old lady because I have a pill box. I'm twenty, dammit! Silly

03/04/2009 06:22 PM
jennywren

Hey there is nothing wrong with having a pill box at all, sensible in my books.

I already have two of them one for blood pressure meds, one for the arthritis, ie glucoseamine, with selium (dunnow what that does for me?) and a multi vitimen(sp for all of these). These I take twice a day. Then there is the Seroquel at night, the Celbrex( arthritis) at night. Ah then these is the Lamictal in the morning.

You can see why I get confused Smile. Have not to the best of my knowledge messed it up so far.

Ah one pill box for the am and one for the pm meds and then another for the pills I take twice a day.

Oh then when I remember have two Omega threes once on trice a day.

Oh boy then there is the once a week oesteophris meds. Boy I give up.

Oh forget the puffer once a day for the lungs.

This is what happens when one gets older, boy!

JennyWren

03/04/2009 06:28 PM
zinnia
zinniaPosts: 3990
VIP Member

lol you gals. if we're old ladies (i'm only 41 damnit) cuz we need to be organized to remember to take tons of meds every day, so be it. let those who would call us old ladies try for one day to remember all the meds we have to take to keep ourselves healthy. geesh. we do our bestSmile

03/04/2009 06:47 PM
JennyT

You should have seen my pill box when I had a sinus infection. My doc gave me a gazillion pills for that. I tried shaking my pill box, and it wouldn't make any noise because it was so tightly packed! Ermm

My brother is as skinny as a rail, so I just tell him that he's jealous because my pill box is a healthier weight. Silly

03/04/2009 06:54 PM
jennywren

And how true that is Zinnia we do indeed do out best.

Well we hope that the doctors do when we go to see him/her with our complaining. Smile

Well from where I stand you are just a spring chicken. Me, well withered and worn. Smile

I got the two years I wanted after retireing and now I am into the fith year past that. And as long as I do poision myself with all the damned pills and I can walk out of the house take a train to where ever I want I am happy. Mind you I like being home by myself. Great.

Ah I heard not so long ago that a fair few of hospital admissions here are due to someone accidently taking too many of their meds. Silly old things. Smile

Maybe the prescribing doctor is a little to blame there for not seeing that the person understood what meds they needed to take and how much.

Regards,

Jenny

03/07/2009 05:34 PM
Darknessiss
Darknessiss  

Oh yeah I've taken my meds and later couldn't recall which meds I had taken that day so I took decided to take another dose. I got in trouble because I double dosed with warfarin (my blood thinner) causing me to start bruising and bleeding! I had a 5.5 INR instead of the 2.5-3.00 INR range that is safe to be in.

As far as other meds? yes I have taken "extra" doses of all of them at one time or another just to see what would happen. lol I like to live dangerously I suppose.

I usually end up with a headache or I get anxious enough to have panic attacks and the best is falling asleep in inappropriate times (like when visiting friends or at a party because I learned the hard way not to mix alcohol with most of these meds.

-Dark

Devil

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved