MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/21/2007 02:35 PM

Lamotrigine (Lamictal)

betriix

Anyone have experience with this? I am currently untreated, because i am terrified of most of the mood stabilizers out there. I hear this is different. Would love to hear your experiences.

Robin

07/21/2007 05:21 PM
bipolarmomma
bipolarmomma  

I am currently taking lamictal. And it seems to be working so far. I've been on it now for 2 months and no big emotion swings. My mom also just started taking it and she is one of the most extreme cases of bipolar I've ever seen. She's only been taking it now for 2 weeks so I'll let you know of her progress. Hope this helps clear up any fears.

Be blessed

07/21/2007 05:28 PM
betriix

hi bipolarmomma,

thanks for the reply. can you tell me if the lamictal helps your depression as well as the mania? also, do you still feel capable of being excited, inspired,and a little hyper once in a while? i'm afraid of something that makes me too normal or flat in some way.

thanks

07/22/2007 12:34 AM
bipolarmomma
bipolarmomma  

well when i started taking lamictal I was hypomanic. So far it has got me out of that state and into a "normal" state of mind. I still cry at sentimental commerical like always, and sad songs. I do still get excited about certain things. Though it is hard to distinguish between excitment and anxiety. And as far as being inspired, right now I am doing research about writing a book about my life dealing with bipolar. My husband says that he notices good things about me after starting this med. I enjoy being around others instead of being afraid. I like to go out and do different things with my family without being anxious about what might happen. So far I would say the lamictal is doing its job and some. Hope this helps.

07/23/2007 02:54 AM
betriix

thanks for your input. that is all good news. still not sure if i will go that route, but at least it seems like a possibility. hope it continues to go well for you!

07/23/2007 11:40 PM
Gypsy
Gypsy  

Hello, Ya all,

I have been on Lamictal for 3 months. I was taking Lithium , and would still have mania, and lamictal calmed it down. It helps with my depression too, I can't go down as far. I got off the Lithium, and Lamictal still works well with other meds I am trying now. It doesn't cause weight gain, either. It has a smooth calming effect. It is nothing like the others ie; Depakote, Zyprexa,seroquel,etc. I couldn't take any of those. Or Geodone. God bless....Gypsy

08/01/2007 12:17 AM
misscat
misscat  

I've been on lamictal for 6 weeks and am currently on 100 mgs titrating up. Has really helped with the depression symptoms but I hear it may take a few months before you can establish a therapeutic level. No real side effects to speak of but maybe I'm just lucky. I'm hoping for the best, though. Good luck if you decide to go on it.

Post edited by: misscat, at: 08/01/2007 02:18

08/12/2007 09:52 PM
lilly133

Beatrix, I have been on Lamictal for 1 year now. It has been a wonderful drug for me. I have been put on several different drugs periodically since 1980. I wasn't diagnosed with bi polar disorder until 2005. My long mania episodes (1 mo. or longer) were controlled productive mania. My daily mania which I couldn't recognize as mania, but my case manager, said she saw them. I felt like I have lived under the line all my life. Depression is my problem. I thought I had dysthymic disorder.

Some place there is a site on this "dang" internet which I was searching for tonight and ran on to this site. It has people's testimonials and they rate their meds. Lamictal had just as many patients with 5 being the best and 1 being the worst. I had read over these testaments before I started Lamictal. I found it the most informative site, ever. I couldn't believe I don't have it bookmarked.

I hope this is helpful. I studied about taking Lamictal for a year. I gave Seroquel a go for a year. My GP prescribed it. It was okay, but nothing like Lamictal. My psychiatrist at the local county mental health center prescribed the Lamictal. I now live above the line. I am amazed. I take 200mgs. I have cut it down to 175mgs and have taken as much as 225 mgs. In a year I have had 2 short tempered episodes. My nurse practioner recommended adding 25 mgs of Seroquel if I have another quick temper incident. Lilly

08/12/2007 09:55 PM
Candice
CandicePosts: 16

I am newly diagnosed but have known for a while just in denile until I ruined my life.My father past away 2 years ago it was down hill from there.I dont know why and I really dont remember alot about that time but i left my husband and my children and left w/another man I have been gone for 1 year no contact with my children or husband i always have ran off but for a couple days has anyone else has a cycle this long I had ups and downs but i never fully came out enough to get home .I dont know any of my triggers i ve been this way for as long as I can remember.My father was the same so I felt iy was normal till this I was a wonderful mom till this cycle So I decided to get help but im scared to take the help this is who i have always been and until this time i like myself I love the hypermania.What can I expect will i loose all of the manic I am on lithum450 ive been on it for 1 week.any help will be appriciated I HVE SO many quetions on how the meds will efect me can you help

08/12/2007 09:57 PM
Candice
CandicePosts: 16

I am taking 450 lithium I dont really know alot about the diffrent meds but i just dont feel them working i feel like im getting close to manic agian and my biggest fear is another year span i have hurt my kids so much already

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved