MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/27/2012 07:43 AM

anyone have experience with tripleptal?

sverner40

Send a PM

Give a Hug

My daughter is 15 with a recent diagnosis of bipolar /ADHD. the doctor prescribe welbutrin XL150mg in the morning and trileptal. she orginally started at 150mg in the morning and 150 at night but had to be increased recently to 300mg in the morning and 150mg at night due to severe mood swings. the funny thing is she was orginally put on abilify 5 mg which worked wonders but was stopped due to a stop in her menstrual cycle. has anyone had any positive success with tripleptal. this is a brand new medicine for her and i feel like she is not on medicine at all. can you tell me of your experiences.

03/27/2012 09:02 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi sverner40, Welcome to our group. This is a very supportive, encouraging and informative group. If there is anything you ever need, please feel free to contact me or any one of the other group leader via private message (PM) so we can help.

I do not have any personal experience with trileptal. I'm sure other members with experience with trileptal will respond. I am posting mainly to welcome you to our group.

I do have experience with Wellbutrin (brand name) and it's generic (usually marketed as bupropion, although there are some new generic names). My experience with Wellbutrin has been extremely positive, but at the upper dosage level (i.e. 300mg). It does take a while to build up a blood level in your system. I presently take a newer, purer form of Wellbutrin, called Aplenzin (brand name), which I really like. My experience with the generics has been terrible. There is debate over the quality control of generic Wellbutrin because of the number of companies that make it all over the world, etc. In tests at least one of the generics did not perform as well as brand name Wellbutrin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

My best advice is to be honest with your daughter's doctor about the way you are feeling. Perhaps the doctor can give you important information, such as how long he/she expects it will take before the medication might begin to work, or the next step in the treatment plan if this medication does not work.

Again, welcome to our group.

03/27/2012 09:53 AM
mem2427

I tried trileptal and it just wasn't the medicine for me. I know some have had success on it. I had stomach trouble and blurred vision on top of extreme irratibilty while on it. Keep talking to her Doctor about what you see hopefully you guys find the right med cocktail soon. Take care.

03/27/2012 10:57 AM
is626

I was on trileptal for a couple of months and it did not help me at all. Everyone is different though.

04/07/2012 01:16 PM
stevesayshi
stevesayshi  

I am on Trileptal 150 mg's twice a day. It throw's me manic. it definitively pulls me out of the funk, which is nice. PDOC added Lithium to help stabilize. He told me that Trileptal was acting more like an anti depressant than a mood stabilizer for me.

04/19/2012 05:07 AM
rodey
rodey  

I take 300mg morning and evening and it has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful for me! I also take Geodon in the evenings but honestly I hardly ever take it, my doctor knows this. I just can't handle the way it makes me feel, I will sleep for 12 hours+ on Geodon, and I have five young kids to care for so that's not a good thing.

I currently take trileptal regularly, as well as strattera for ADD. I have rapid cycling mixed bipolar, and trileptal works so good for me. It did take a few weeks to really take effect. I am pleased with trileptal, the depakote doesn't work for me. I have not tried any other mood stabilizers.

Good luck with your daughter, I am so glad she is getting help early! I was dx'ed at 15 but never got the proper meds, only now at 30 years old am I finally getting the treatment I need. Once you get the meds right I think you and she will notice a big difference.

05/10/2012 02:17 PM
sverner40

Thanks a lot. my daughter is now taking 900 mg a day along with 200 mg of welbutrin which i definetly see the difference

05/10/2012 02:30 PM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

It seemed to make me moodier than before.

05/10/2012 02:46 PM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I took Trileptal for a little while (the hospital prescribed it) and it didn't hold back severe episodes, so they took me off. Trileptal is basically Tegretol, but with an oxygen atom attached. Tegretol has been very useful for me and along with Lithium is my main moodstabilizer. The purpose of created Trileptal was to have Tegretol, but with out as many medication interactions and side effects. Most books say that Trileptal is not as effective as Tegretol for both bipolar disorder and epilepsy. Personally, I don't think the med interactions have been such a big deal and I have virtually no side effects from Tegretol. I know that Trileptal still makes birth control useless. I don't know if that is an issue for your daughter though.

05/16/2012 07:09 PM
Georgesmom3
Georgesmom3  

I was on trileptal for a couple of years, 900mg, while i was on it i loved it, found it extremely helpful for my mood swings and anger spouts, unfortunately after years of taking it i broke out on a head to toe rash. As soon as they weened me off off it went away.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved