MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/01/2012 11:53 AM

Zoloft or Prozac

GirlDotson
GirlDotson  

I am currently onn Zoloft,, and I suppose it has been doing all right. I have some issues with tireness during the day, but trouble sleeping at night. I just started taking Trazodone for sleep a few weeks ago, but hd to stop due to the really bad blurred vision (I couldn't even drive!), so I asked my pdoc yesterday if he would prescribe something else for sleep. He wrote a script for Remeron. After googling the med, I saw that weight gain and incresed appetite were huge problems with this drug, so I called pdoc back and asked if we could try something different instead.

He suggested I switch my Zoloft for Prozac. After reading about this new one, I saw there wasn't a big differnce between them either, so I am confused as to why I would change.

I had initially asked if he would up my Zoloft a little, as wehn I first started with it, it was amazing. I had energy to get up and do stuff, not the jutters or a high, just energy. And in addition, just change out the sleep mediction, so I am confused about his new suggestion.

So, an Prozac-ians out there? Pros, cons?

02/01/2012 11:59 AM
DinoDarius
DinoDarius  

Well, both of those are SSRI's. There isn't much of a difference in them. Maybe the side effects but that's about it. I've taken Zoloft before but that made me very angry. I've never tried Prozac. The reason why he probably suggested either one is because even though there is much of a difference in between the two they might have a different reaction with your body.

Good Luck on the Prozac though. I hope it all works out for you this time

02/01/2012 01:09 PM
Light68
Light68Posts: 520

Zoloft turned me into a zombie and the blurred vision was just an extra for me.

02/01/2012 01:34 PM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

Zoloft put me to sleep;

Prozac keeps me content even when I have no reason to feel that way. And because of Prozac I'll probably never have sex again.

What else can a poor girl do?

03/30/2012 02:47 PM
MamboMick
MamboMickPosts: 269

ZadieBlue, what makes you say that about Prozac ? It gave you permanent sexual side effects ?

03/30/2012 03:54 PM
mem7478

i have never taken prozac. just paxil. My doctor increase my paxil recently and i could not get to sleep that well. so now she is switching from paxil to zoloft. she says zoloft might help with the sleep issue. i have only been on it 4 days-i do get to sleep better but have been waking a few times and wow do i have energy. hopefully thing will balance out. I take seroquel at night and that helps me sleep. have you tried that. i know the side effects say weight gain-but i have not gained. good luck i hope the prozac works good for you.

03/30/2012 06:54 PM
MandyPanda20
MandyPanda20  

I take remeron, and it has been the perfect antidepressant for me plus it helps tremendously with sleep, weight gain wasn't that bad for me. Sure there was a few pounds gained but definitively worth it, because it works great! I've tried Zoloft and hated it, wasn't good for my bipolar and didn't help with my depression or anxiety at all, however I do agree it gives energy. Just thought I'd comment about Remeron, I myself haven't met that many people on it. Good luck trying to get your meds straightened out, it's definitively a journey.

03/31/2012 05:53 PM
lj80

Prozac took my ex-wifes sex drive away. I've been on Zoloft but anti's make my thoughts shift into third gear and it's not good.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved