MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/16/2011 09:42 PM

Lithium and Thyroid

Mulefoot
Mulefoot  

Friends, If you are taking Lithium, do have bloodwork done to see what your thyroid level is. It turns out that Lithium makes your Thyroid level way outside the norm. And this makes you lethargic, worn out, easily tired.

I'm taking 450 mg Lithium daily

For Thyroid: 0.075 mg Levothyroxin

(amongst other meds:Lamictal, Seroquel, Diazapam)

Just have it checked. Mine was checked two months into the Lithium...and was off the chart. Really, our Docs should request bloodwork often in our Rx's.

Peace,

09/16/2011 10:12 PM
mariel24h
mariel24hPosts: 1186

When I was on lithium, I had a thryroid issue. Please check yourself out. Take good care.

09/17/2011 08:19 AM
bpdiaries

I've been on Lithium for 2 years and my thyroid checks out everytime. However the thyroid issue can pop up at any time so definitely have it tested every 3-6 months to be safe. Things to watch out for are lethargy, appetite changes, weight gain while eating less, feeling cold, lower body temperature (> 98.0F and you have an issue).

Thyroid is an issue to watch out for, but something else to keep in check is your renal functions. If you aren't drinking enough water and watching your salt Lithium can beat your kidneys hard. If you experience lower back pains in the kidney area, decrease in urination, sluggishness. Contact your Pdoc and have a renal function test performed. I had this problem and I was spilling creatinine into my urine, a sign of my kidneys not working. Started increasing my water and watching my salt and it helped.

09/17/2011 08:43 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4583
VIP Member

Yep, 1200 mg of Lithium messed mine up too. I'm so sick of getting the bloodwork done.

09/17/2011 09:07 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I get my Lithium blood counts around every 3 to 4 months my pdoc told me thats only to check my Lithium levels only (i'm on 900 mgs mostly sometimes it goes up a little). Its only at my annual physical that my family doctor checks my bloodwork out thoroughly eg. kidneys & thyroid are checked only then. Been on Lithium 12 yrs so far so good, i do get tired and lethargic a lot but thyroid seems to always be fine, i'm due to make my annual checkup i'm late by 6 months. Thanks for this post very informative.

Post edited by: Dit, at: 09/17/2011 09:08 AM

09/17/2011 09:15 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I'm overdue for a TSH test and have also had a T4 test for my thyroid. It wasn't long after I started Lithium the first time that I developed hypothyroidism. When I went off Lithium I was on 50 mcg of Levothyroxine. I went on Lithium again about 1.5 years ago and take 100 mcg of Levothyroxine. Now I take 900 mg of Lithium. The first time I took 1200 mg. Not sure why my blood tests show the need for a lower dose. I was about the same weight the first time I went on as I am now.

Note: My grandmother has hypothyroidism and has never been on Lithium. I might have inherited it from her, or that is why I got it so quickly after starting Lithium.

09/17/2011 09:18 AM
Mulefoot
Mulefoot  

Thanks! For mentioning the kidney, water, salt, renal issues! I remember reading it on the Rx info but forgot it totally.

In last summer's heat, three of us were "putting up" hay. We had gallon jugs of water and reminded each other to drink....but did not remember how critical the water and salt thing was. I was about close to heat exhaustion. I about died last year and was so worn out I did not care.

"Putting up hay": picking bales up off ground, throwing onto wagon, stacking it decently on a moving wagon, unloading at the barn, setting it on the elevator, taking off the elevator, stacking bales in decent pile (while elevator keeps kicking those #&*&$#&Wink bales out at you. This year we had it made into round bales (big) and bought a Bob-cat vehicle to move them. A real Blessing!

09/21/2011 12:24 PM
Wyndrake
Wyndrake  

When I took Lithium my thyroid went out of whack but my primary care doc knew about the connection with Lithium. She put me on thyroid hormone and I was told I would have to take it forever, but when I quit Lithium, my thyroid went back to normal, and has been normal ever since. A few years ago my primary care doc sent me to get a sonogram on my thyroid because it was enlarged, but everything was normal. She said "I guess you just have a large thyroid".

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved