MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/21/2011 10:34 AM

Lamictal High Cholsterol and High Glucose

GirlDotson
GirlDotson  

I started Lamictal (Lamotragine) almost a year ago. I was told it could cause a raise in cholesterol and blood sugar. Well, I had labs done the other day for my new pdoc and was told that my levels in those areas were elevated. Pdoc told me last week that I am considered pre-diabetic because I am overweight, smoke and don't exercise like I should. He had my lab results forwarded over to my reg doc.

Has anyone else had issues with lamictal in thewse regards?

06/21/2011 04:38 PM
afmom

I've been on it for over 6 months now and luckily for me I haven't had any problems with it yet. I hope things get straightened out for you. Keep us posted.

06/21/2011 04:53 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My cholesterol is high, sugar is fine. It elevated shortly.after I started effexor so I thought that was the problem. I've been taking lamictal for two years before that with no problems.

06/21/2011 05:17 PM
WastedSpace

Interesting...I have high cholesterol. I was curious if this was related to any meds that I take. I've been on Lamictal for about 4 years. I also have high blood pressure. I'm glad that your brought this up.

06/21/2011 05:35 PM
GirlDotson
GirlDotson  

Doc told me low crb, no sweets, low cholesterol diet and a regular exercise program. I suppose that is the kind of thing we should all be doing, but it's a kick in the butt for me.

I almost forgot: He also said I have a very low vitamin D level. Now this one I just don't get. True, I am not an outside person, but I have chocolagte milk every morning and I just love cheese. I eat cheese sticks everyday for a snack. I also read that low vitamin D is a big contributing factor in developing diabetes.

Soooooo, Monday I will start back at the gym. I do grocery shopping in Sundays, so aparently I will have to re-evaluate my grocery list.

Dizzy

Post edited by: GirlDotson, at: 06/21/2011 06:08 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved