MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/04/2008 03:09 PM

Wellbutrin and dry mouth

debiski
debiski  
VIP Member

I've been on Wellbutrin for about two months now and have developed the unfortunate side effect of a severely dry mouth. At the recommendation of my pharmacist, I bought some Oasis mouth rinse that is supposed to be for dry mouth but it only works RIGHT after I use it and it's effects go away if I drink something. In order to get any benefit from it I'd have to be rinsing my mouth every 15 minutes all day long.

I know chewing gum is supposed to help with a dry mouth, but I have an upper denture and cannot chew gum. I also hate sucking on hard candy because of the constant "clanking" against my denture.

Does anyone out there have any other ideas for curing a dry mouth problem? I'm drinking all day long but it doesn't help. Sad

12/04/2008 03:55 PM
MissMay1977

I was on wellbutrin for about 2 years. Generic Wellbutrin caused me HORRIBLE bad breath! I went through a pack of gum a day because of dry mouth and bad breath.

12/04/2008 04:07 PM
Flaco73
Flaco73  

I was on Welbutrin, for the better part of a decade. I too, can attest to the saharan dry mouth. It does mess with the pallette some, and I can certainly see how/why it has been prescribed to curb cigarette smoking.

It can be a tricky thing to be fighting something like this, and i noticed with me; the less I fought it, the less it fought me. Sometimes, the more of a fight we put up, the opponent(in this case,dry mouth) is more than game, and will take it up a notch, with you. food for thought.

Though I feel like a creep recommending soda, something like a caffeine free Pepsi, would always help me, if I didn't overdo it. I really hate to be recommending sugar, but Snapple juice drinks helped, too. If you drink coffee, perhaps go with a lighter blend of coffee to water ratio, and more cream.

I know some of these things may sound bad, from a dietary standpoint, I'm putting them out there, as examples that helped me. Listerine breath strips help during this, too, for me.

I've been off of Welbutrin around 3 months. i still have dry mouth, but I'm on other meds that do that too.

Take care.

12/04/2008 05:26 PM
menmymania
menmymaniaPosts: 241

Do they still make that freedent gum? I think that might help, but yeah the dry mouth thing is soooo annoying. It's not horrible at all just totally annoyingSmile

12/04/2008 05:31 PM
debiski
debiski  
VIP Member

Flaco, all I drink is diet soda and I used to only drink one a day. Now I'm up to 3 or 4 a day.

I don't drink coffee anymore, although I do indulge in one Frappuccino every morning.

I know water would be good, but I hate drinking water. I swear it feels like I'm sucking sand all day long. It's horrible!

12/04/2008 05:51 PM
johndavid
johndavid  

I have dry mouth real bad too. In the summer time, it really sucks.

I feel like buying one of those beer caps that has a couple of cans on top. Maybe I should buy a tank like the scuba divers wear, except mine would be full of water or Mountain Dew. I thought about an IV, but that would probably be a pain in the ass too.

12/09/2008 09:44 PM
dstar9
dstar9  

Try sugar free candy. It has worked for me in the past.

01/08/2009 01:20 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

If you're still interested, biotene works well. I discovered it years ago and it has gotten more advanced since then.

Check it out - http://www.laclede.com/

01/10/2009 09:05 PM
scooby

Hi,

I've discovered Crystal Light Peach Flavored ice tea and I drink it all the time, don't get tired of the taste at all. I take Wellbutrin also and I just get some water when I have to make a potty run. It's not too bad, helped me quit smoking, too.

Scoob

09/26/2010 05:03 PM
Cheelara
Cheelara  

Recently though i have encountered severe daily dry mouth. I say daily because i don't have trouble sleeping because of it nor to i wake up with my tongue stuck to the top of my mouth. I have dry mouth all day but some times during the day are worse than others.My doctor continually tells me its wellbutrin. The thing is i have taken wellbutrin for like the last 3 years with no problems so why all the sudden now do i get dry mouth. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did it make a difference weather you where on the generic or the brand name?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved