MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2011 09:49 AM

How many pills do they expect me to take?

driving2dance

I went to see my doctor yesterday and after being in a state of deep depression for several weeks he put me back on Wellbutrine, which I had been on before when I had only been diagnosed as depress. I know it helps with depression but now I take that, depakote, lamictal, seraquel, saphris, and topamax (sorry if I got the spelling wrong on those). I feel like a walking pharmacy. I don't understand why they can't just figure it out and give me one or two pill to help me feel better.

01/20/2011 11:05 AM
Karisa

That does sound like a lot of serious meds. Have you been with this pdoc for a long while? I wouldn't stop taking them, but maybe get a 2nd opinion or change drs. Finding a good pdoc is hard. I used to go to someone who had me on a boatload of supplements in addition to my regular meds and she didn't work out. I go to someone else now. Just a thought....

01/20/2011 11:12 AM
CagedButterfly83

I agree with getting a second opinion, its always a safe bet. I too am like a walking pharmacy though so I can empathize. I am on Wellbutrin, lamictal, lithium, trazadone, and klonopin. So I too feel like a walking pharmacy. But getting a second opinion is always a good idea because that will keep you safe. Trust your gut, if you feel its too much, you are probably right, but always talk to a doc first.

01/20/2011 11:17 AM
ASO1979able
ASO1979able  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That sounds like a lot. I am on 5 meds for the Bipolar and have asked my pdoc if there is any way that we can reduce that number, but so far that is not an option. I have accepted the fact that I need my meds to stay stable and unfortunately I need a lot of them. I hope that once you are able to become stable your pdoc will consider reducing the number of meds that you have to take.

01/20/2011 12:33 PM
moodycoyote
moodycoyote  

Yeah I know how you feel I'm on topamax, lamictal, zoloft, pristique (and ambien so I get regular sleep at night). I also just lost my job so my insurance went with it. It took over 5 years to find that magic combination of pills, though. I don't want to go through the hell that I've been through trying to find that combo again, even though it needs adjusting at times, and keep reminding myself of that when I feel like the walking pharmacy that I joke about being. Silly

01/20/2011 01:00 PM
Karisa

We've joked about me being a walking pharmacy, because I need to have certain meds with me (not all for bipolar, some OTC), just in case!! Smile

01/20/2011 01:06 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

If you are stable and not suffering too many side effects why change anything? I take ten pills per day, but I am happy while suffering some unfortunate personal trials, so I don't mind.

01/20/2011 02:17 PM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

The most medication I have ever been on for bipolar is 4 medications. I am a high functioning bipolar and it seems my symptoms are mild compared to others on here. I reduced the 4 medications down to just 2. I felt like I was over medicated. I feel pdocs will write you a prescription for an infinite amout of medication and over medicate you sometimes. Ask lots of questions as to why you are on more than one mood stabilizer. That does not make sense. Good luck to you!

01/20/2011 08:17 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I take a few medications, but I don't mind because I am stable and they keep me that way. If you are not stable or are feeling over medicated, I would question it. I am very thankful for my medications and I don't mind one bit taking them because I am stable, they got me this way.

01/21/2011 07:43 AM
driving2dance

I'm not stable but I think my doc is trying to get me there. He says there is a seasonal component to my bipolar, which does make sense to me. Its just that I hate spending all that money on pills every month when I feel so down now. Maybe the new pills will help and I'll be able to see that it is worth it once again.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved