MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/10/2011 07:14 PM

Substitute for Abilify?

miviem
miviem  

Hello. Do any of you know of a medication similar to abilify that has a generic? I've lost my health insurance and abilify is just too darn expensive to pay for out of pocket. I will talk to my dr about this of course, but my appt as of now isn't until Feb and I wanted to get some other peoples' opinions on the subject. I currently take 20 mg of abilify daily. Has anyone been switched off of abilify and onto something different, yet similar; and if so, how did it turn out?

Thanks!!

Melissa

01/10/2011 08:33 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm not certain as to a generic similar to Abilify would be. I only know of Geodon and Seroquel and those don't have any generics either. I'm sorry I'm no help, but maybe others will have some ideas. I'm sure your psychiatrist will have some ideas. Try calling your psychiatrist and seeing if you can get in before your appointment or see if he will switch you over the phone. That's awhile to wait.

01/10/2011 10:58 PM
jfwc61
jfwc61  

I know that Abilify doesn't have a generic, but my son didn't have health insurance and no job and was able to get the Abilify straight from the manufacturer. You have to show proof that you can't afford it; I think we had to show my son's last tax return. They will determine how much to help you...at one time my son was getting 95% of his meds paid for. You might want to check into that...hope that helps.

01/11/2011 12:43 AM
miviem
miviem  

Thank you both for the replies. I really appreciate it. I will call my Pdoc and see what he says in the morning. And that is a good idea about getting it straight from the manufacturer. I'll try that as well. Thanks!!

01/11/2011 03:49 AM
ASO1979able
ASO1979able  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Some times your psychiatrist has samples of the meds that they can give you, when I did not have insurance my pdoc gave me enough samples to get me through the month. You might want to ask about this as well. I hope it all works out for you

01/11/2011 03:49 AM
ASO1979able
ASO1979able  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Some times your psychiatrist has samples of the meds that they can give you, when I did not have insurance my pdoc gave me enough samples to get me through the month. You might want to ask about this as well. I hope it all works out for you

01/11/2011 03:50 AM
miviem
miviem  

OH! That's a good idea too! Thanks very much for that reminder. I had to get samples before so hopefully this won't be a problem. Thank you!

01/11/2011 04:13 AM
niecy440

Hello, Lamictal is a very good mood stabilizer like Abilify. It also comes in generic. It also doesn't have the side effects that Abilify has. It is weight neutral and works very well stabilizing moods. You may want to ask about Lamictal. You start off slowly and work your way up to the right levels. It can take several weeks before you are at the right dose. Hope this helps....

01/11/2011 04:22 AM
miviem
miviem  

Thanks Niecy. I am actually already on Lamictal too. But that's a good idea. Maybe I just need an increase since I'm only currently taking 50mg. Thanks!

01/11/2011 05:50 AM
Lisacomisa
LisacomisaPosts: 903

go to needmeds.com and see if you can get with a patient assistance program. I did this and got my medications for free while I was in college. Good luck

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved