MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/23/2013 09:05 AM

Lyrica / Pregabalin for bipolar?

Taika
TaikaPosts: 220

Has anyone got any experience on Lyrica / Pregabalin being used for bipolar depression?

My doc just prescribed this to me after a failed attempt to get me on lamictal and then lithium. I'm very unsure of trying this drug next. I don't have fibromyalgia, I've got rapid cycling Bipolar II. Can anyone tell me if this has helped their bipolar symptoms or depression specifically?

I'd appreciate it!

Post edited by: Taika, at: 07/23/2013 09:11 AM

07/23/2013 09:14 AM
VickiL1219
VickiL1219  

I've taken Lyrica, but for fibro. I had a really weird reaction to it, though. It didn't do anything for my pain, and I had trouble with my memory, like I couldn't remember my birthday, weird. I don't know if it had something to do with my bipolar or not, and I haven't ever heard of it being used in the treatment of bipolar. I'm interested if anyone else has heard of it being used for it.. good luck Smile

07/23/2013 09:56 AM
Kelly62
Kelly62  
Group Leader

I also have heard of it for fibro, my girlfriend is on it. I googled it and couldn't really find anything on it pertaining to bipolar. But I'm sure your pdoc knows what he's doing, no harm in giving it a shot.

I'm an open book when it comes to med and wanting to feel good. As you can see I posted one on Riluzole, used of ALS. I proposed that med to my pdoc, after researching it. He doesn't know of anyone on it for bp, in fact he doesn't know much about the med, but was listening to my cry for help and agreed to try it. Keeping in mind he's monitoring me. Therefore, just b/c a med is used for a specific illness doesn't mean it won't work for another...

Good Luck!

Kelly

07/23/2013 10:05 AM
Taika

Thanks for the input Vicki & Kelly! I didn't find much info on it's use for bipolar either. I have an appointment to another pdoc coming up so I might just pass on trying this until then. I got toxic on lithium and don't feel like trying anything unless I'm sure of it's possible usefulness long term. Got a little jumpy after some serious side effects on a med again... This same doc refused to prescribe geodon on my request and I'm not so sure she knows best anymore.

Thanks!

07/23/2013 10:21 AM
TrixaLady
TrixaLady  

Lyrica is a close cousin to Neurontin (gabapentin) and Neurontin is sometimes used as a mood stabalizer. I was on Neurontin for a bit for neuropathy and it seemed to help my anxiety. Not sure how it effected my moods since I wasn't looking for that correlation. In an 'off label' sort of way, I can see why Lyrica would be prescribed for bipolar.

07/23/2013 10:40 AM
Taika

TrixaLady, Thanks for the input! Smile

07/23/2013 11:28 AM
gingermousey
gingermousey  

Hi

Hi,

Research has shown that Neurontin (Pregabalin) is not effective as a first line RX as a mood stabilizer, although it may(?) help when added to another mood stabilizer. I take a small dose (100mg) for anxiety, but have not noticed a mood stabilizing effect or any antidepressant effect. I am not a doctor and my suggestions come from my experiences. Good Luck and keep us posted. Diane

07/24/2013 01:29 AM
Taika

Thanks ginger, I have got anxiety issues aswell so maybe it coul be useful there.

07/28/2013 09:45 AM
eawaters04

Neurontin (Lyrica's cousin) and at one point I was on Lyrica when it first came out for sleep...it made me very depressed. But it's not a common side effect. I was just one of those rare people.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved