MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/21/2009 03:26 PM

Deplin- Has anyone used this? Side Effects?

owutatangledweb
owutatangledwebPosts: 2771

The psychiatrist wants my daughter to start on this. Does anyone know anything good or bad about it?

11/21/2009 08:22 PM
nyamedua
nyameduaPosts: 63

Dear Owu,

I have taken Deplin for over a year now and it is a great help! It is a medical food, so it's not a drug per-say it is rather a bio-available form of folate. Folate is very important for proper brain function and memory. Unfortunately folate is not very "bio-available" in most food forms, or even in over-the-counter pill form. So, Deplin is actually just a very wonderful supplement that is often used for helping those with bipolar AND unipolar depression. It is an augmentative therapy, meaning that it is often used in conjunction with an anti-depressent or mood stabilizer in order to give the brain a boost in firing the correct synapses.

I have had NO negative side effects. In fact my mood has been the most stable I've ever experienced. I had my first full-blown manic episode when I was 10 and severe suicidal depressions. I chronically experience ultradian cycling, which is a fancy way of saying ultra, ultra rapid cycling. Since I've been consistently on the Deplin I experienced a decrease in cycling and also a decrease in the brain cloud associated with mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics.

Be warned though, that MOST insurance will not cover this because it is a "medical food". But it is well worth the money, which for a 90 supply is about $150.00. WELL worth the moolah.

Good luck with your daughter, I will hold you in my thoughts.

Blessings,

NyameDua

11/22/2009 06:40 PM
owutatangledweb
owutatangledwebPosts: 2771

Dear Nya:

Thank you so much for your response. She rapid-cycles terribly. Most worrisome is her per impulse control...she's 18. It sounds like it's well worth for her to try it.

Thanks and I'm glad to hear you're doing so well.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved