MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/20/2008 02:43 AM

Anyone Awake, March 20, no topic discussion

carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Smile Good Morning Everyone and happy Thursday, for those that have to work today, the weekend is almost here..W00t

Sideways coffee is done, tea is ready and this mornings yummy selections is waffles, with strawberry topping and whipped cream, bacon and sausage..Silly

--- The discussion has been locked ---

03/20/2008 02:49 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Wink just noticed, Happy first day of Spring everyone, now if we can just get the weather to follow along, we can get outside and start planting..lol..Cool

03/20/2008 02:50 AM
Alpha
AlphaPosts: 91

g'morning carmen.... nice to see somebody up finally... Cheerful

I think I'll have the waffles with butter flavoured maple syrup, as that's all I have kicking around in the freezer... and a tea of course.... green tea, with lemon. In fact, I think I'll have a whole pot...

03/20/2008 03:18 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Good Morning Alpha, how are you this AM? I was late in getting up this AM, as I don't have to be in till 8am..lol.. got to sleep in if you will, of course my brothers and husband consider anything earlier than 10AM to be getting up at the crack of dawn..

Having my first cup of coffee, and some toast, so that I can consider taking my morning meds.. with a fist full of pills you would think I would not need breakfast..lol.. Green tea is good for you.. I don't know if you have a Walgreens around you, and I don't know that they all do the same sales, but we currently have liptons green tea on sale for 1.99 per box..

03/20/2008 03:20 AM
unsurefuture28

Carmen,

Thanks for the feedback. The only med. I have ever taken for Bipolar was Depakote. I stayed on that (500mg)

for about 2 months before I stopped. It helped a little bit with the constant up's and down's, but made me feel not so normal. I have heard some pretty horrible things about Lithium, and how taxing it is on your organs. Just recently a buddy of mine was diagnosed with Bi-polar, a little anxiety as well as A.D.D. He is on the lowest dosage possible for the A.D.D. and Anxiety but also takes Lamicil for BP. He says that is has changed his life in ways he could never imagine, but he has always been pretty successful and a self taught kinda student so it is hard for me to see exactly what the changes are. I was going to see a Psych a with the V.A. becuase at the time I had no medical insurance and it was free. I was also able to get 5-6 units of A.D.D. testing in free of charge as well. I totally agree that I should find another doctor, but seeing as how you can only get one 30min appt every 3-4 months it makes it that much worse for the one who is afflicted by it. At first by looking at the scores from the first page, the psychologist thought in fact I had A.D.D, but by the time he had finished entering in all the numbers, he looked blaffled, and said "we're not really sure what you have,based on this information" And then he went on to tell me how my internal timing was off.

I have come to an honest conclusion. That I refuse to live without help anymore. I have just turned 28, and after living through the last few years untreated, I am surprised I made it out alive. Is it wrong to think that the BP needs to be taken care of before addressing other concerns like substance abuse?? I know, at least from my prior experiences that my self medication only allows the symptoms to surface more frequently. That's when despair seems to set in and makes it harder to push forward.

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel so much better. Smile

03/20/2008 03:22 AM
Alpha

Hey Carmen,,,.... Ya, I was waiting for someone to get up.... I looked at my clock at 2:00 am and decided to fix some computers... next thing I know it was 5:30..... oops! Sideways

Well, as far as green tea goes, I've got premium chinese green tea shipped from BC, my brother has all organic green teas, and I help him out with computer stuff, so he sends me tea in the mail..... I've currently got about 2 lbs of all organic blends of premium green teas Smile Smile Smile

03/20/2008 03:26 AM
Alpha

Hi unsure....

I agree with you about the lithium... they had me on that for a little while, and I used to get tremors of sorts, physical shaking and things, and I was on a low dosage too.... now I'm on epival and abilify, and I don't seem to be eperiencing any side effects from that.... epival is really mild as far as medications go (in low doses) Anyway, just thought I'd say good morning.... Smile

03/20/2008 03:40 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Hey Unsure, first and foremost you didn't give the medication a fair chance, you are going to feel that it takes away whatever it was you considered to be your normal, and for most of the folks it was their mania's, the unlimited energy their feelings of grandeur, etc.. reality is, this is not "normal" your intelligence and ability to do things will never leave you, they will just be brought inline..that is all, and for your meds to work right you have to be welling to let them work.. 2 months ain't going to cut it.. you've got to give up the self medicating, as it has already wrecked havoc in your life, and will not let the medications for the bipolar to work right.. I am on the lamictal too, like your friend, 400mg...the best way to find out the changes in his life is to ask him, for me it was someone throwing a ladder down into the black hole of despair I have lived in for most of my life..

Don't discount any medication based on hearsay, for some of those on here, Lithium is one of the best drugs out there, it is one of the most throughly researched meds.. you might be like me and get lucky that the first medication you are on does the trick, or you could be like others and have to do the medication merry go around till they find the right mix..

You've made one step in realizing you need help.. just accept the fact that right at the moment like most of us, you might not even know what your "normal" is... I haven't figured it out yet.. but I have figured out that my moodswings were not normal, and as long as i am not having those to the degree I had been, for me that is the goal I am aiming at for my "normal" the VA can be a real pain in the tushie to deal with, my husband goes through them for his medical care, and if he needs to see someone other than a nurse or regular doctor, he has to drive to Columbia, a 3.5 hour trip both ways for a 20 min. visit, screws up a entire day and a tank and a half of gas..

Do yourself a favor, when you go to your doctors visit, have a journal of all that is going on with you in your pocket and leave your brain at home, our minds can be our worst enemies..

03/20/2008 03:41 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Alpha, i am jealous...lol, would be wonderful to be able to get that quality of tea..

03/20/2008 03:42 AM
unsurefuture28

Alpha,

The thing that scared me more so is when I went to the pharmacy while I was getting the Depakote, there was a guy there who literally lookes as though he was hanging by a thread and almost freeked on the pharmacist cause he ran out of meds...It's hard to tell sometime what direction your swimming in with this endless sea of knowlege around you. It's easy to feel lost sometimes

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved