MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/18/2009 09:23 PM

Is it really such a big deal?

Jazzmary
Jazzmary  

I am from the city (philly) and i am also a part of a interracial relationship. i see many couples like that white asian spanish black, and i see many white girls with their back male sweeties. i think its cute, but for me and my white boyfriend, i get all types of shit from my friends, strangers, the media hell everywhere i am getting a umm... you dont work together vibe from people, thats till they know me and my baby. we are made for each other he is my rock and i am his unique and ever changing love interest. why do you think people hate on us so much. its so hard for me when i have black men taunting my boyfriend and acting like he isnt there and hitting on me. any suggestions on how to handle the jerks, its been two years and you think it gets easier but it doesnt i just wish my friends and other wouldnt see race and just saw a woman and man who found what they've always been looking for.

02/18/2009 10:08 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

One of my best friends is in a bi-racial relationship (he is white and his wife is African-American) and it seems that they are constantly battling stigma. I'm not sure what to suggest except to either ignore them or find a way for all of you to do something together so that your friends can see your boyfriend for the wonderful, caring person he is as well as your compatibility as a couple.

02/19/2009 12:36 AM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

No it's not a big deal. We are all the same inside and if other people can't see that than that's their problem. You are just going to learn how to let it roll over you. Don't let these ignorant people affect your relationship with your man. And don't let them change you in any way. Life is to short to waste time. My baby sister is married to an african american man. They have 3 beautiful children. THey're happy and they don't care what other people think.

02/19/2009 03:02 AM
MsMay1977

That is a very good picture of you and your man Jazz. Smile

02/19/2009 07:34 AM
QuietDesperation
QuietDesperation  

I've been married to an african american woman for 25yrs and I live in Nashville! 25yrs ago it was much different, less excepted than today. Neither of our families even came to our wedding but over time as they got to know her as a person she became there favorite daughter in-law time changes things. As far as the rest of the world we really haven't had any problems, maybe we are just blind to it.

02/19/2009 07:50 AM
bejeweled
bejeweled  

Well, as a white woman who has been with a Latina for the last seven years - I have taken my share of shit. Life is short. Love who you love. Anyone that has a problem with your relationship has much bigger problems then YOUR relationship if you know what I mean. It is a reflection of them, their insecurities and pathetic pettiness.

I like T.I. and Rhianna's song "Live your life."

02/19/2009 08:16 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Jazz, I am married to a man 10 yrs younger than me. If folks don't like it they can take a hike. Same for anyone judging others, it is their problem. Ignore the fools, honey. It just might be they are jealous that you have a happy relationship. Everyone should be so lucky.

Maybe one day we will have a world that doesn't see race, gender, mental challenges, or other things, but looks at the person.

"measuring people by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin"...to paraphrase MLK. Is my ideal world, and I choose to recognize no other.

02/19/2009 08:49 AM
JennyT

I live in Georgia, and I'm the white girl that's dated a black girl. Talk about a scandal!

I agree with what pretty much everyone else has said. If other people don't like it, they can go back to their medieval little worlds where they need to judge somebody by the color of their skin just so that they can feel superior to someone else.

And people think that bipolar people suffer from delusions. Hah!

02/19/2009 11:25 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Jazzy, the others are right, and much more polite than I would be, I would tell those that say anything right where to get off, and those that stare and look, just ignore them or stare right back, it isn't anyone's business who you are with, it's yours and your s/o's, y'all make a cute couple, you don't have to put up with crap, as for the guys hitting on you when you are with your boyfriend? tell them you've already found more man than they can hope to ever dream to be and just walk away.

02/19/2009 08:25 PM
saralaurie
saralaurie  
VIP Member

Two of my three grandsons are biracial (mom/white & dad/black).I honestly didn't think people made such a big deal about it anymore. I live in a small town in Kansas and there are hundreds of biracial couples and children here who are loved for being beautiful people. My parents are old school but they are so cool with their great grandchildren and quite proud of them. My neice married a black man a month ago and we all celebrated their union. They just found out they are pregnate and we all so happy for them. I honestly don't see color as others may do.

Post edited by: saralaurie, at: 02/19/2009 20:26

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved