MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2012 01:24 PM

wish me luck I don't act like a fool

centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My husband is very involved politically so I am occasionally called upon to go to big important dinners with big important muckity-mucks who make me nervous as hell even though they are all nice people.

I have had more than one panic attacks over these things. My husband asks me as rarely as possible but for various reasons this is one I really have to go to.

This is my first time going to one since being stable and on meds so I keep telling myself to expect it to be better as really all evidence points to it being fine now.

Still I am beyond anxious. Even got a little manic and spendy today over it and even bought and smoked cigs even though I just quit.

I can't talk to my husband about being anxious as he really needs me to be a strong partner so pardon this long vent. I just had an appt with my therapist and I wish I had brought this up!

Ok big long ramble. If you've read this far please toss a few calm, collected, maybe even charming thoughts, prayers or 'vibes' my way. You don't even have to post them, just think them! Smile

04/27/2012 01:35 PM
porch52
porch52Posts: 717

I was just part of a large gala event in our town, small town, but all the bigwigs were there from local, provincial and federal. I sat with a table of local councillors who I didn't know, and didn't have anyone with me. I was soo nervous, I had been expecting to sit at a table with some of our members whom I know well, but got bumped.

I ended up having a very enteraining time, the lady I sat next two was very interesting, and entertaining becuase she is well-known to say "what she thinks", whenever it comes to mind.

I understand feeling extremely anxious, but remember to try and distract yourself, and have a glass of water or something in your hands to do. Just remember to focus on the other people instead of what's going on inside you. Wish I could be more inspirational.

Good luck with it!! Hope you have an excellent time, looking forward to hearing about it after!

04/27/2012 02:14 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I remember you saying that you have these functions to go to. It must be really hard to deal with. You are stable now though and I think you will be just fine. It's only normal to have some anxiety about this. Especially because in the past you haven't been as stable. Keep yourself busy and try to not think about what is going on with the anxiety. I wish you very positive thoughts. You can do this!

04/27/2012 05:03 PM
IDoNotKnow
IDoNotKnow  
VIP Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

04/27/2012 07:05 PM
BipolarRuth
BipolarRuth  

You'll do great just try to keep calm. I'm sending postive vibes out to you. Good luck!

04/28/2012 05:50 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thanks for the positive thoughts and vibes. I had a few moments of anxiety but it all went fine.

I really believe in the power of positive thoughts and prayers from others to affect a situation and so I sincerely thank you all!

On a side note, completely off topic, the $2.00 thrift store shoes and $6.00 thrift store dress accompanied by the awesome borrowed necklace I wore looked as nice and swanky as the I am sure more expensive outfits I was surrounded by!

Post edited by: centerseeker, at: 04/28/2012 05:51 AM

04/28/2012 11:14 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

That's great that you did well. I knew you would. Positive thoughts and prayers from others do affect a situation, I agree. You know that people are behind you in what you are doing. I'm sure you looked really nice and fit in just fine!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved