MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2012 10:26 PM

Would you get a tattoo stating your medical cond.?(page 2)

MBPRLY
MBPRLYPosts: 254
I'm an Advocate

I like the comedy tragedy mask idea if I were to get more tattoos. But the only spot left where I have plans is to finish my back. Not doing another sleeve, although perhaps across my wrist. But as someone pointed out, medical conditions change. I've only seen one that said DNR on his chest. It was an older man who had a hard attack and got it about a year after. I asked him why and he simply responded I don't want my family to hurt and I don't want to go through the recovery process again. But conditions change and the last thing I want to do is scare off a woman I have interest in with a tattoo that says I'm bipolar.

02/28/2012 12:04 AM
Edyn
Edyn  

I might get a tattoo stating allergies. I've recently developed an allergy to penicillan and I can see where that may be benificial. But one that stated I'm bipolar? I can see being judged for something like that. Not all medical personel are as accepting as others and may judge before evaluating. I recently experienced that for the first time last month when I went to the er for severe ear pain. The pain was due to my teeth, but because my ear wasn't infected, I got the whole 'looking to self medicate' speel. Just about slapped the dr.

02/28/2012 03:02 AM
jaguarandcubs
jaguarandcubs  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Interesting discussion! Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm not actually in the market for another tattoo, mind you, and when I am, it won't be saying bipolar. lol

I found the concept very interesting. Smile And I WOULD get bipolar tattooed if I thought it would do any good in an emergency. lol

02/28/2012 06:05 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I don't particularly like tattoos. I did choose to buy a bracelet that has "seizure disorder and bipolar disorder" engraved on it. It doesn't include my meds (I have a card in my stuffed wallet with those written on it). I only wear the bracelet when I'm starting to get hypomanic and I'd keep it on when I get manic. Not only for bipolar, but for the seizure disorder that acts up when I'm in the elevated moods.

I would feel like a tattoo with bipolar would be like a brand. I am NOT bipolar disorder. I am Cindy and I love my flawless skin as is. When I'm stable I like to think of myself as well - not that I stop taking the meds, of course.

02/28/2012 12:09 PM
Edyn
Edyn  

CtheBird- Love your comment.

02/28/2012 01:37 PM
MBPRLY
MBPRLYPosts: 254
I'm an Advocate

Edyn: Not to be negative, but you are wrong. You are only as strong as you allow yourself to be. When things get really tough, a shoulder to lean on helps, but you have to learn to fight your own battles. Otherwise you'll become dependent and use your "support" as a crutch. You don't want. Trust me, it's HARD. I've had a really rough 2 days but I just find myself a quiet place and try and relax. Compose myself and then pick myself up and slowly move forward. You NEED to learn to be your own support. While these forums are here to help you, but to make real progress, you and your pdoc have to work together. But the real strength needs to come from you. If you need to talk, PM me. You ARE a strong person, your mind is just clouded. Have faith in yourself.

02/28/2012 03:26 PM
hypnagogic
hypnagogic  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

@ Edyn, you know, my 13 year old daughter had an experience of being stigmatized for the first time, though I don't think she caught it. She had had severe headaches for about a week. We went to the ER and as the doctor was asking about a diagnosis and medication, when he learned of the General Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder, the first words out of his mouth were psychosomatic. I could have reached across the room and slapped him. Fortunately my daughter didn't know what that word meant. I'm sorry for the judging you had to endure.

02/28/2012 04:44 PM
Edyn
Edyn  

Everyone has an opinion. Everyone has a right to that opinion. But not everyone's opinion is right.

02/28/2012 04:53 PM
Analogdog
Analogdog  

Well, if I were to get a tat, I would go for a Superman S with Unipolar Manic and Proud of It, underneath.

But I have no tats, and don't care to try, so its just a pipe dream.

02/28/2012 05:12 PM
jaguarandcubs
jaguarandcubs  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

MBPRLY, I understand what you are saying, but having support from friends and loved ones isn't what I would call a crutch. Alcohol and drugs, those are a crutch. My husband and I support each other and always consult each other about things, whether it affects one or both of us. I am also perfectly capable of being my own support when it's called for. For example, he and I separated several years ago and he moved to another state to work. I didn't have any other family around, and only one 'friend' who could barely take care of herself. But I took very good care of not only myself, but my girls as well. I may be doing the same thing before too long - my hubby may be moving interstate to work again (but this time it won't be a seperation). So, in my experience, you can be supported AND independent at the same time.

Just my opinion! And as Edyn said, everyone has one. Doesn't mean everyone has the RIGHT one! Right or wrong is subjective, anyway. Wink

Post edited by: jaguarandcubs, at: 02/28/2012 05:15 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved