MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/21/2011 12:17 PM

Bipolar or Adhd

kellylynn
kellylynn  

Wondering if i have adhd which i was diagnosed with until my recently new phsyc dr said she thinks i can't focus or stick with any thing long is not adhd but rapid cycling. I am not sure since i have always been this way. If i am really interested in something i can focus. She is going to try and put me on lithium to slow me down a bit and see if that will work.

Just wondering if it will work any comments would be appreciated.

09/21/2011 12:59 PM
whatthefisup
whatthefisup  

you can have both

09/21/2011 01:11 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

Lithium has been a tried and proven drug for biolars. When I was working in psyhiatry way back in the early 70's it was the only drug that was used and it worked.

09/21/2011 01:18 PM
Migru
Migru  

Lithium has been my wonder drug. I too cycle rapidly and though it still happens, it's not as drastic. With it, I'm about at cyclothymic levels. I can be aggressive in the morning, lightly depressed in the afternoon, and hypomanic in the evening. All this during a very emotionally distressing time in my life. One could say ON THE SURFACE that I have ADHD because of my symptoms, but proper p/doc eval shows that I cycle like Lance Armstrong. Smile (I like that metaphor). AAAnyway, listen to your doc. Medicine management for BP comorbid with ADD or ADHD is NUTS. I know a girl in my group that deals with it and it's not the easiest thing.

09/21/2011 01:27 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

In my opinion if you are bipolar ..stimulants other than anitdepressants should not be any of your meds. Even the antidepressants can cause mania. Wellbutrin sends me into the heavens so I don't take it unless I feel like goin there.LOL

09/21/2011 01:35 PM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6829
Group Leader

I have both ADHD and bipolar 2, and I take adderall for my ADHD. It helps me to concentrate and focus - I am a different person on it. Before, I couldn't finish reading an article online. Now I can.

Maybe it doesn't cause me any problems because I don't have bipolar 1, so I don't have mania???

09/21/2011 01:52 PM
Bangbang
Bangbang  
Group Leader

That could be ...I don't know. My Pdoc has me diagnosed Biploar II. I don't agree with her becuae if I am not taking my meds I display all the symptoms of Biploar I. Does not make any sense to me.

09/21/2011 01:55 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Stimulants either make you cycle faster or more extreme. I can't remember which. I could not get stable while on stimulants and I have bipolar II.

09/21/2011 03:44 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I take a stimulant for my the symptoms of my depression. It does not negatively effect my bipolar II. I am very stable.

Yes, kellylynn, you can have both bipolar and ADHD. I think giving the Lithium a try is a good idea. Lithium is a good medicine and I hope it works for you.

Post edited by: sarahtroy, at: 09/21/2011 03:51 PM

09/21/2011 05:43 PM
angelique44
angelique44  

Perhaps you have "overfocused ADD," which is what I have, meaning you can focus and in fact will hyper-focus on things that interest you. It's almost like you go into a trance and lose yourself in something and find it very difficult to pull away from it once you start it. I do this with copyediting/proofreading and jewelry making. I also have Bipolar I.

Post edited by: angelique44, at: 09/21/2011 05:44 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved