MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/14/2011 01:33 PM

holding a job!

Aries
Aries  

I've noticed that at times it gets really hard to work while living w/ BP d/o. I'm currently an Intensive Case Manager and although I love helping others, there's times its hard to when I can't even help myself. More importantly I plan on returning to school next semester (I dropped out after learning of my diagnosis; I was in school for mental health counseling). So, I need to find a way that I can support myself and have the flexibility to make my own schedule for when I'm going through a tough time. Any ideas? I thought about teaching yoga and maybe selling art on the side? Any advice? Dizzy

09/14/2011 02:50 PM
Migru
Migru  

I'm going through a really tough time myself right now. I'm hoping to go back to school, but there are so many what ifs. I've written a book and I'm doing final revisions, hoping to get it published by next year. I've applied for disability, but don't know when that will go through.

All that to say, I suggest you find something that will be easy on your mind. Intensive care case management sounds pretty hectic. Yoga sounds like it would be a better fit, but will it pay the bills. You don't need to be making bank--I'm assuming--so take it easy on yourself.

09/17/2011 06:46 PM
Deeznuts131
Deeznuts131  

It seems like I am always at this place. I start doing really well at a job , and than my depression takes over and I just stop going to work. I absolutely love my job and I also hate it at the same time. I have no motivation and I just wanna have money without really doing anything for it. I have just been in a treatment center for four months , sitting in therapy for 56 hours a week , yes it was seriously intense. It was the most uncomfortable pain and yet , wonderful wake up call in my life. I never sit with feelings or deal with them . Usually , I numb right out and go into depression and than into mania for a long time until I do as much damage as I possibly can. What I have learned is to try to pay attention to my triggers. It is also so hard to find the right dose of medication, really take care of myself, and find things that I like to do. I can no longer appease anyone else. I have been worrying about everyone and everything else. I have so many coping skills. I had to learn what I like to do all over again. I also like to do ridiculous children's activities such as color and go to the park. I make sure I have a lot to do. As far as going to work, I love my job and I have found something to look forward to do after work. Maybe take up a hobby that you can get paid to do if you are not in the place to work.

09/18/2011 06:23 AM
Volante
Volante  

You guys are lucky. I was diagnosed BP in 2003 and by 2007 I could no longer work. I cannot handle stress anymore. When I have too much stress I get sick, severe headaches, anxiety attacks and I'm bed ridden. I miss work so much but that will probably never happen again. I cant even handle the stress of driving long distances. So, feel fortunate you can still work.

09/18/2011 07:11 AM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Luckily I received my SSDI, so that takes some of the stress us financially. However, I'm usually home alone during the day - BORING. I'm trying to volunteer somewhere, like at a hospital or food pantry. I don't even like going outside anymore, but I will if I have to.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved