MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/06/2010 07:19 AM

music and you

puzzlinZin
puzzlinZin  

Is music an important part of your life? How important (or unimportant)? Always have something playing or just in the car? Does your music choice depend on your mood? Does music change your mood - for better or worse? What do you listen to (genre/bands)? Listen to the same cd until you're sick of it or always have something new?

Just curious because I have some music issues I'm trying to resolve... and just curious, too.

07/06/2010 08:34 AM
SteffieY
SteffieY  

I enjoy listening to music. I listen to it to help me relax at night before I go to bed. And when I walk. And sometimes when I am in the car, but not always. I am not obsessed with it, but I do like it. And yes, it does depend on my mood to what I listen to.

My youngest son is always making up songs and I love listening to him sing.

HUGS

Post edited by: SteffieY, at: 07/06/2010 08:35 AM

07/06/2010 09:37 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Music is the best thing. I love it, you can express so much heart and soul into it. I listen to all kinds of music. The acoustic music means the most to me. You can really hear it and relate to it. I listen to the radio sometimes, but mostly I listen to a friend of mine. I can really relate to it, know all the words, and is part of me. I think music is great. I hope you can resolve what it is you need to with music. Stay strong. Hugs

07/06/2010 11:14 AM
BlindFaith
BlindFaithPosts: 62

I listen to music all the time. Whether I'm driving, hanging out at home or lounging at the beach. Recently I have gone back to listening to music that I first discovered when I was young. It reminds me of how important music is in my life. I love jazz and acoustic music. My favorite instrument is the classical guitar. It is soothing to me.

07/06/2010 12:26 PM
mimmy
mimmy  

there is alot of music that effects my moods. "landslide" makes me cry everytime I hear it. "white and nerdy" makes me laugh

07/06/2010 12:41 PM
WTF
WTF  

I listen to music constantly. Driving, working out, sitting around the house. I also play some ... piano, acoustic guitar, bass guitar. It definatly effects my moods. While working out i listen to hard rock, metal, and some rap.(White Zombie, Sick Puppies, Nine Inch Nails, D12, Eminem) While sitting around the house i usually have my son with me so it tones down a bit to Disney cd's or like some James Taylor. My son goes to sleep listening to classical every night so he really enjoys like Bach or Motzart.(he is four by the way)My son has listened to classical music going to sleep since he was born. A nurse where he was born told us that doing that would keep his brain in a relaxed state and he would have fewer nightmares. Now he just simply enjoys it. My wife listens to alot of pop on the radio and my son knows all the words to current songs. On most Disney cd's for movies they include scores to different parts of the movie and it has become a game to see who can get the movie part right first, oddly my son usually wins. He has a photographic memeory for these kinds of things. My mood usually doesnt decide what i listen to as much as who is around me. Alone i would rather listen to heavy rock or metal and that is always in my car and on my i-pod. Most of the time when i hear a new cd i like i listen to in constantly for a few months before going back to swapping things around, but i do swap sometimes. Now what i listen to DOES effect my mood big time. I dont drive any faster than i should but after an hour in my car with metal playing i definatly feel very pumped up and ready to take on the world. This to me isnt a bad thing because i dont usually do too well around strangers and it gives me the boost i need to feel like a can handle it. After an hour in the car with my wife and her happy-go-lucky pop and people irritate me quickly. (im not so much a pop fan)

So yes music is a huge part of my life as you can tell. Without it the world would be bland and borieng for me. I cant imagine it any other way.

07/06/2010 02:08 PM
Angelwings1
Angelwings1  

I love listening to music. Music was always playing in my home while I was growing up. Mostly jazz and big bands because my father is a bass player. I play cello, piano and guitar. I haven't played my cello in awhile but would like to get started again. Music also changes my mood. I have a hard time listening to heavy metal and classic rock since the songs remind me of when I was drinking. When I listen to music it's like watching a movie to me. I picture i my head what the words are telling. I usua;;y wake up with a song in my head and have to get involved in something to distract me sometimes if it's a song that aggrivates me. I know some of this may sound strange but that's how my mind works with music.

07/21/2010 06:47 PM
ke20

Is music an important part of your life?

How important (or unimportant)?

Music is a very important part of my life. I'm a Theatre major with singing being one of my theatrical specialties, if you will. Smile I also belong to Sigma Alpha Iota, an international women's music fraternity.

Always have something playing or just in the car? always in the car, sometimes when I'm home alone, especially when I'm doing housework.

Does your music choice depend on your mood? somewhat, I guess.

Does music change your mood - for better or worse? Music usually changes my mood for the better. It makes me want to dance or sing, two activities which I really enjoy, sooo yeah. it's usually pretty good for me. although, since music is such a big part of my life, when I was manic, most of my racing thoughts were parts of songs, which drove me up the wall.

What do you listen to (genre/bands)? almost anything!

Listen to the same cd until you're sick of it or always have something new? Always have something new. I really enjoy pandora.com.

07/21/2010 07:51 PM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am a musician so music is very important to me. I have it on a lot when I am not playing. It's always on in the car. I use music to express my emotions, whether I am playing or not. When depressed I listed to what I consider to be sad music, generally classical. My number one depressed piece is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, or when contemplative I sing or play old Lutheran liturgy from the the 16th century. When upbeat I listen to any number of things, rock, 40's big band, zydeco, contemporary Christian music and worship music. I will be listening or playing music as long as my hands and ears hold up.

07/21/2010 08:16 PM
IDoNotKnow
IDoNotKnow  
VIP Member

Music is a very important part of my life. In fact, it is my life. I am a musician above all and a music teacher. My goal in life is to share my love of music with children. Every day of my life is filled with music. Music helped me greatly growing up. Not only did it introduce me to my passion but it also was a great way to meet people. I love music. I may listen to music that is different than others. I love Romantic music. My favorite piece of music when I am sad is Quiet City. The life of music will never end. There is always a new piece of music being composed. We just have to be there to hear or play it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved