MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/18/2008 06:10 PM

Need a inspirational passage from the bible? click

johndavid
johndavid  

Mathew 6: 30-34 read something like this.

30 "Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tommorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you?

31 "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'what shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'

32 "For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.

33 "But A)seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

34 'Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tommorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. NKJV

--- The discussion has been locked ---

09/18/2008 06:50 PM
tmcd
cirquepourvousPosts: 1710

i don't think i find that extremely inspiring.

09/18/2008 07:01 PM
red1965
red1965  
VIP Member

Awesome thread!!!

My favorite Bible verse...1 Corinthinas 13 (NIV)

1Co 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1Co 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1Co 13:8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

1Co 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

09/18/2008 07:12 PM
kimminentdanger
kimminentdanger  
VIP Member

red - I haven't opened a bible in quite some time, but why do your verses seem like they are in "plain english"??? Part of the reason I hated reading the bible was always because I found it REALLY hard to understand the verbage.... your quotes just seem so much more "reader-friendly".... ???

09/18/2008 07:20 PM
red1965
red1965  
VIP Member

Kimmie, I use the NIV translation. I have a hard time with the King James myself. There are several other translations that are written in a much more user friendly format, New King James is one of them.

The best Bible on the market... Is the one you will read!

09/18/2008 07:27 PM
kimminentdanger
kimminentdanger  
VIP Member

Please bear with me while I display my ignorance.... what's "NIV"???

09/18/2008 07:37 PM
red1965
red1965  
VIP Member

Kimmie, it's OK! Please ask anything...

NIV is New International Version.

There are some that say King James is the ONLY BIBLE (hey if that works for them and they read it... awesome), however the original texts were in either Hebrew or Greek, all of the Bibles that are not in Hebrew or Greek are translations.

Here is a link to a web site that you can read the bible on-line. There are multiple translations available in the drop down menu. Give it a lookie see...

http://blueletterbible.org/index.html

09/18/2008 07:41 PM
tmcd

i offered a rather flip remark earlier which i hope didn't. as an apology:

As Buddhists, while we practice our own teaching, we must respect other faiths, Christianity, Judaism and so forth. We must recognize and appreciate their contributions over many past centuries to human society, and at this time we must strive to make common effort to serve humankind.

the dahli lama

09/18/2008 07:51 PM
kimminentdanger
kimminentdanger  
VIP Member

Wow - what a great link red!!!! Thank you so much for that...

I know you're not unfamiliar with my PRO big bang/ANTI creationism opinions/theories, but the thing is: I've been thinking a lot lately about religion in general -

Although the only thing that would make me truly question evolution and change my mind to believe that God exists would be if the big guy himself showed himself to me and proved it with his physical presence (and NOT during some freaky psychosis either!), I DO still believe that there's a reason why soooo many people turn their lives over to religion and faith and tend to report nothing but relief & happiness when they do...

I'm really not sure what it was that put such a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to "faith"... Could have been the nasty nuns I dealt with my whole life in catholic schools, could have been the priests & all the horror they rained down onto innocent children, maybe it was when my mom became BORN-AGAIN christian and was SOOOOO into it (after living godless for YEARS) that I actually god scared for a sec & wondered if there was some kind of cult-action going on... I really don't know.

But anyway, back to the point - (went off on a little tangent, sorry.. Blush) I've been trying to find my own answers regarding religion... I've read the Qur'an (muslim), looked into Kabbalah (judaism), talked to the convenience store guy about Hindu... (none of those, by the way, had much logic as far as I'm concerned) but I haven't paid any attention at all to christianity... I just can't seem to open my mind to it.... Any theories on why?

And can you get personal and let me know what moves you to have so much faith in something you can't actually see, hear or touch? (Not judging what you believe, by the way, just genuinely curious) Wassat

09/18/2008 08:13 PM
tmcd

i understand the creationist belief as much as i can, which is a very literal interpretation of the bible (i think i'm right, sorry if not). what i don't understand is why the 2 views - big bang and creationism - can't exist together or mesh somehow. i'm not a theologian so . . .

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved