MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/19/2009 12:11 PM

Hi I'm new here!

heronbythesea
heronbythesea  

I stumbled upon this page while doing a search. I really like it. I've been having some questions and I wanted to discuss the things with people who actually suffered from Bipolar Disorder. There are questions which should be directed to a doctor, but then there are things that may be more helpful to direct to others with the illness.

I have suffered for years from this illness but have only recently been successfully diagnosed. Before they had diagnosed me with Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder. Now that I have been diagnosed Bipolar - about a year ago now I think - I am wanting to learn more about the illness because it is sort of a mystery to me right now.

04/19/2009 12:36 PM
scooby

Hello,

Welcome to the late-diagnosis club. I had my first incident in 1973 and was diagnosed in 1985. It irks me a little because I think the sooner you are properly medicated the better.

Doing a Google search on bipolar disorder will get you a zillion site hits. The DBSA site is the national organization and it has some good information as well as links to support groups.

Groups and boards like this one are ways to learn more about it. With little effort you can get swamped with information, but information is empowering.

Bipolarville

04/19/2009 12:47 PM
JennyT

Welcome to the group. I'm glad you've found us. Don't hesitate to ask questions because I'm sure somebody around here will have an answer. Smile

04/19/2009 12:50 PM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello Heron. This is a good place to learn more about bipolar disorder. Make yourself at home.

04/19/2009 12:54 PM
midnightstar
midnightstarPosts: 50

Like you, I was originally diagnosed as having major depressive disorder. Although I showed signs of bipolar at age 20, I wasn't officially diagnosed until age 35 when I had my first manic/psychotic episode.

Keep reading as much as you can about bipolar. The more you can educate yourself on the disorder, the better.

Post edited by: midnightstar, at: 04/19/2009 12:55 PM

04/19/2009 02:31 PM
heronbythesea
heronbythesea  

Wow Midnight Star! That's very similar to me. I showed signs of Bipolar at least as early as when I was in college, but only got diagnosed at 33, about a year ago I think. I've been too depressed to do much research until recently.

04/19/2009 02:39 PM
Darknessiss
Darknessiss  

Welcome heronbythesea! This is a great site to be a part of.

Me likey!

I am bipolar I with psychotic features and my life is uber crazy most of the time with the occasional stretch of "stability". This past week for example, was awesome and I stayed at 5 or 6 on the happy bipolar scale.

Hope you stick around awhile!

Cheers!

-DarkSmile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved