MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/29/2007 09:56 AM

New here and looking for others....

MsBimbo
MsBimbo  

Hello.

I am here for something, I'm not sure what.

I've had private counselling to get through the dangerous times, but now I need a community of support and would like to be that for others.

Diagnosed with PTSD and Bi-polar several years ago, I only accepted the PTSD. Recently, I've come to accept the bi-polar diagnosis as well. This has been very difficult for me.

I grew up with a terrible stigma attached to mental illness and experiences here and with the ex-husband just re-enforce the stigma.

I think if life had not become to unmanageable I would have stayed in denial.

It is so frustrating trying to function! I am above normal in intelligence (IQ ratings), but do such stupid destructive things. I think if I were not so intelligent I might accept some of the things I do more readily. Please don't think I'm being arrogant, I'm just trying to find out how to cope without artificial flavoring! I want to cope and be more normal. I think it was Erma Bombeck who said something about "Normal" being a setting on her clothes dryer. Healthy is where I really want to go.

I am working with my psychiatrist on medications, but the newest is not working that well.

Prozac is what I'm using now and I've been on it for about 6 months. We've been careful in increasing the level to get my mind working again, but I have mood shifts which scare me. I will be seeing her soon to discuss this. I don't like mood stabilizers like depacote because they make me drowsy during the day and my hair falls out. (well, I guess that's probably better than pulling it out!)

I was using Zoloft for about two years, but I could not sleep. I think I was doing better life management with the Z. I will need to talk to my Dr. soon about this, too.

The only medication I have not used so far is lithium. I was told it is the most successful for her patients, and the person must be reasonably stable to keep the maintenance correct.

Wow! Sorry for the run-on. I do feel better, though.

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far! If you'd like to post any encouragement or other helpful comments, please do. I feel so alone with this....

07/29/2007 11:49 AM
bekah
bekah  

Just remember now that you are here you will never fight this alone. So please do not feel like you are lone if you do please jump online.We are all here for the same thing-support. I will be more then willing to listen at any given point any time you ever need. Good luck to you and God Bless I shall keep you in my prayers as I keep everyone else that has to deal with bipolar in my prayers.

07/29/2007 10:00 PM
MsBimbo
MsBimbo  

Thank you for your reassurance!

C.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved