MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/20/2012 08:49 AM

Anyone an empty nester? How did you first cope?

mixedbipolar
mixedbipolar  

I will be in June and I'm not prepared for that reality. How did you first cope?

04/20/2012 09:48 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I don't have any kids and I'm almost 41. I do remember when I left my parents home for college (I'm the youngest and my sis and bro were already gone away). My parents lost weight, quite smoking and started traveling a lot. They also spent a lot of time doing their respective hobbies and sitting outside in the gazebo either talking or sitting without talking and saying "yup" every once in a while. They really liked it. I swear their marriage was better when I left than before.

My mother (usually alone) would visit me at college on most Saturday's and take me out to lunch. It was really nice. On holidays and in the summer I'd go home to visit. It was just the right amount of time spent with folks. I had found my independence and didn't need their presence all of the time. In fact, even before I left I spent a lot of time with my friends or home alone in my room. You need to make the break. Just as parents need to make the break from kids.

Post edited by: Cthebird, at: 04/20/2012 09:49 AM

04/20/2012 10:05 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

When Kim my stepdaughter left for college and before my son was born I remember feeling very lonesome for her. I texted her a lot.

As Cthebird said you start focusing on yourself more. Unless of course you go and get pregnant like I did and start all over again!

04/20/2012 10:59 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm not an empty nester, but want to support you. You will in time get used to this change. It's hard when your children grow up and go out on their own. You constantly worry about them. You are used to having them close to you at home. You get lonely. You now have a chance though to focus on you. I know that seems hard, but in time you will learn this and accept that your child has flown the nest. I'm sorry you are feeling this way, but it's normal. I hope you feel better soon.

04/20/2012 11:04 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Did you know that MDJ has a forum for empty nesters too? We ave everything here!

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/empty-nest-syndrome- discussions

04/20/2012 04:22 PM
mixedbipolar
mixedbipolar  

Thanks everyone; I feel the love and appreciate the wise/kind words. I just found out so it's just a matter of preparing myself. Thankfully, I have a wonderful pdoc and therapist to ease me into living alone .

04/23/2012 09:46 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Don't forget you have those vacation visits to look forward to.Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved