MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/12/2012 10:46 PM

A belated introduction

uplifted
upliftedPosts: 285

Hello,

I am a few days old member here. I have already been around reading and commenting some discussions here but i didnt realize i should have first introduced myself, like all new members. I saw an open pool, i jumped in the water...

I have been struggling years with mood shifts and depressions, and perhaps from a personality disorder (conflicting professionals' opinions with regard to the exact diagnoses). This past week was particularily difficult and challanging, due to a stressful event that awoke many underlined issues of my responsive behavior and mood reaction to life environment. I realized that i 'have serious issues' but i was confused: who am i? what is wrong with me? why do i have to react so extreme? what is my real diognosis? who knows what other disorders i suffer from?

I needed someone to talk to without being afraid of rejection or judgment. I needed support, and the main thing----I needed to find out exactly what is going on with me and start adressing those issues one by one. I made an appointment to a psychotherapist and have already met 3 times.

My friend referred me to this support group, i visited, signed up, and as i stated above, i have already shared some discussions here. It seems like a big warm and supportive family that helps to and cares for each other. What i trully admired here, was the remarkable determination that the members have and their oppenness toward their problem.

I hope to find some answers here, and to be able to get and give help and support. Thanks for the opportunity to do so.Smile Smile Smile

02/13/2012 04:31 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi uplifted and welcome, its never too late to introduce yourself. I'm glad you've found this group and I hope you get the support you are looking for. I come here daily and no longer feel alone.

I'm sorry you've been struggling with mood shifts, i am glad to hear you are seeing a psychotherapist, i see a psychologist and i truly feel i'm healing from a lot of past and present issues which have complicated my life. I've been given coping skills which i never had before and i'm starting to allow myself to 'feel' and not be so afraid, I used to stuff my feelings (and still do) and i've picked up some bad habits over the yrs in order to cope. Now i can say with the help of my therapist (tdoc) i can sometimes recognize when i'm stuffing and i hope to find healthier ways to deal with these feelings/emotions.

Feel free to post wherever you want and don't hesitate to contact me or any group leader should you have any questions or concerns, wishing you well.

02/13/2012 06:05 AM
uplifted

Hi Dit, Thanks for replying, its good to wake up and read the good words. Smile

If you dont mind sharing, can you please explain what do you mean by 'stuffing feelings'? In theory i know you refer to ignore intense feelings and do not allow them room in ourselves. But can you describe it to me a little?

And can you also explain about the coping skills?

02/13/2012 06:32 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

It's perfectly ok that you posted before introducing yourself. There are no rules to how someone joins up, just a hope that we will all be here getting and giving support.

I am sorry for your struggles and am glad that you are seeking help and that you have a fiend that pointed you in our direction. Good friend!Smile

02/13/2012 07:58 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6825
Group Leader

Welcome, uplifted.

02/13/2012 12:35 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry you have been struggling this past week. I'm happy you joined. We are like a big family, so jump right in. I don't remember if I even introduced myself. Lol. You are doing just fine. I hope that you can start feeling better soon. You definitely won't be judged here. We are here to support you and give you comfort. I hope you really like it in this group! Welcome!!

02/13/2012 01:05 PM
uplifted

Thanks for all the welcomers. You all warmed up my heart.

02/16/2012 10:33 AM
imatourist
imatourist  

I'm seeing this a bit late, but I wanted to say hello anyway =).

02/16/2012 10:42 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

rejection or judgment is bad stuff, i am a stuffer, it over loads you, then shake it, it explodes, then have to find pieces, to put back together.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved