MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/15/2012 04:50 AM

new here

rolltide14
rolltide14  

I have type 2 Bi polar,OCD,GAD this site has given me more hope and support then I have had in along time..I hope I am posting this in the introduction atleast I hope so.

For the last yr and a half I havent wanted to accept that I have Bi polar was taking the meds and staying drunk now I have been sober 6 days.I have more support here then I could ever get at home my wife believes I should be able to take meds and never show signs of ever having Bi polar..

And drinking just quite she says...

Thanks for listening to me.

Peace Rolltide14

01/15/2012 06:37 AM
runawayangel

your definitely in the right place! I've been on here a few months. and i love this site because in other social networks you have to be careful what you say for people judging you. but here you can completely be yourself and people are so supportive. i am also type 2 bipolar. and i was first diagnoised with this at age 21 but didnt accept it until i turned 30. boy life would have been different if i had accepted it the first time i was diagnoised. but now life is looking up. because i understand alot of my choices and behavior related to my diagnosis. and with the right medication yes you can live a healthy lifestyle.

01/15/2012 06:58 AM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Rolltide, were glad you are here. It sounds like you have the same diagnoses as I do. Congratulations for being sober for 6 day. That's quite an achievement. I was diagnosed in 2010 and have been hospitalized 10 times since. I'm on several meds and they seem to work most of the time and you should stay on them yourself. When I feel good , I want to get off them, but I know the consequences. Anyway, once you stop self-medicating with alcohol as you have, you can focus on your illnesses. Anyway, welcome.

Chris

01/15/2012 09:15 AM
Linda27
Linda27Posts: 227

Welcome Rolltide. This site has been so great for me these past few weeks since I joined. I have learned so much about bipolar and myself. I too spent many years self medicating with alcohol until I decided to quit around 6 years ago (It wasn't easy but I made it through).

It is so hard for someone who doesn't experience bipolar to truly understand what it is like. That it isn't completely controlled with meds (though meds are a big part of it) and sometimes even after years the meds stop working and we have to once again search for the right combo to help. Good luck with everything, I'm glad you found this site and I hope you find it as helpful as I have.

01/15/2012 09:22 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6828
Group Leader

Welcome to the group, rolltide14. You'll find support, encouragement and information here. Please don't hesitate to PM me or any other group leader.

Congratulations on 6 days of sobriety. You should be very proud of yourself.

It's a shame that your wife isn't more understanding, but like Linda says, it's really hard for people who don't have bipolar to understand what we deal with. Do you think taking her with you to the psychiatrist and having him/her explain the disease to her would help? Just a thought.

01/15/2012 10:18 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome! You are doing great on the drinking! Keep it up. I know it's not easy. I used to drink daily and now have 27 years sobriety. I remember quitting, so I understand how you are feeling. PM me anytime.

I am sorry your wife isn't more supportive. I am giving you a link to the government's Institutes of Health website's bipolar section. Get her to read it. It will help her understand more. You can read it yourself and learn more, too. I am glad you found us and are now a member of this great group!

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar- disorder-easy-to-read/index.shtml

01/15/2012 11:15 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

That's great that you have been sober six days. That is quite an accomplishment. I'm very proud of you. Keep doing what you are doing. That's sad that your wife doesn't support you like she should. Of course there will be breakthrough symptoms from time to time and need a medication adjustment. I'm sorry that she isn't getting it and thinks that things should just be perfect just because you are on medications. This group is great and I'm so very happy you are getting so much support here that you need. I'm glad you joined. You are benefiting for sure. Keep up the good work on not drinking. You will be glad you did. Keep posting, we are always here for you and we care about you a lot.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved