MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/04/2011 05:31 AM

hi, I'm new/etc

fobs12

I found this forum/ site a little while ago and am perusing it. It's OK I suppose.

Anyway I have bipolar disorder of either type 1 or mixed type but it's hard to pin down my doc and get her to say either way. I know that I have mixed type episodes regularly though. I also have been diagnosed with Intermittent explosive disorder and PTSD, so as many of you may suspect this thrills me to no end.

As I get older my symptoms get worse. I respond best to the older meds, lithium/depekote for example but have put on 40 lbs from that since I've been on them. respiridol made me break out in a rash. I got really drugged out feeling on thorazine.

That's the short dirty take on my medical and mental health fun and why I am looking for a group of people to talk to about this because more times than nought it feels like my head is breaking apart from the inside and I drive the people around me up the walls.

Thanks for reading that

Fobs.

11/04/2011 06:35 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello fobs and welcome, this is a very supportive group with very caring members. I used to suffer a lot of 'lows' before i joined here, once i joined i no longer had these lows any more, to this day i have minimum lows. I come online here daily and no longer feel alone. I hope you find the support you are looking for.

My doctor treats my symptoms only he does not use terms like 'mixed, cycling, mood swings, etc' hell never got the right diagnosis out of him after seeing him for 24 yrs (he diagnosed me with depression with anxiety, i still see him we have shortage of psychiiarts) Its good to hear your psychoiatsit uses terminology to diagnos you helps you understand whats happening, but remember these diagnosis do change. I had to get him to refer me to the mental health centre here in 2007 for a reassessement, voluntary inpatient for one month, i told him i needed 'new doctors' to look at me and tell me what they thought, well in 5 days i was told i was bipolar I. This was a relief, i now recognize my symptoms and am better able to cope. Since joining here i've also learned so much hearing first hand form other who have bipolar about this disease. I wish you well. Feel free to contact me or any group leader if you need info or just want to talk.

Post edited by: Dit, at: 11/04/2011 06:42 AM

11/04/2011 06:48 AM
fobs12

I already like it here.

I forgot to mention that when I first got diagnosed, or rather previously to being diagnosed but when I first went looking for help I got the depression/anxiety tag too. It partially had to do with the fact that I was super secretive about the things going through my head.

My family kept mental illness issues quiet for a few obvious reasons in that a generation or two back from mine people were dealt with very harshly when they had bipolar. This environment taught me to keep my symptoms quiet so I would not suffer a stigma or worse.

Many of the younger people dealing with mental illness might not have actually met people who have had electro shock or lobotomys first hand.

11/04/2011 07:03 AM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

Welcome to our little corner of the world where it's okay to be 'outside' the social norm ... so to speak. At least that's what the 'social norm' thinks. I, personally, think the 'social norm' needs to take a closer look in the mirror at themselves and they would realize that we really are no different than they are ... we just accept it and are smart enough to seek some assistance. Wink

11/04/2011 09:04 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi, I'm glad you have joined. You don't have to keep quiet here. Feel free to speak your mind and troubles as well as your victories here. We will be here to support you and help you any way we can. I'm sorry your family is hush hush, they probably aren't a lot of support to you. You do have us now and it's so friendly here. You will make many friends to talk with. There is a stigma attached to a mental illness, but it is getting better. Slowly but surely. I'm sure you will love it here just like the rest of us do. Welcome to the group!

11/04/2011 09:29 AM
fobs12

the family stuff is mostly just from family members getting "sent away" and what have you but I can see that this will be a productive place to be able to explain what I mean and not have to convince everyone that it's not make believe too. It's all good.

11/16/2011 07:57 PM
dcieutat

Have you tried Saphris? I've been on both Lithium and Depakote and can't take them anymore. I'm on Saphris and Lamictal now and having a really great successful comeback after being hospitalized in September. Ask your doctor about it. No residual sluggishness and I sleep lika a baby.

Smile

Denise

Saphris 10 MG

Lamictal 50 MG

Clonidine 0.1 MG

Klor-Con M20

Synthroid 75 MCG

Metolazone 5MG

Torsemide 20 MG

Etolodac 400 MG

Norethindrone Acetate 5MG

11/17/2011 02:19 AM
fobs12

HI, There's only certain meds that this clinic will or can prescribe. I was on the generic of Lamictil and it did a very good job however it is one of those drugs. I have a problem with this philosophy because according to them it is a benzo and therefore something I could be getting high off of but on the other hand if I bring my kid in and he needs to be treated for ADD they will happily prescribe him Aderol.

Now as far as Saphris, I don't know about that yet. If it is on the drug formula as for what I can get help with in regard to paying for it and it is not related to Respridol then I could give it a shot. I don't know though, there was one drug that she told me about that sounds a bit like that from what I can remember and it was supposed to be somewhere between Haldol and Thorizine. She said because Haldol wouldn't be a good match and that I was having too many side effects with Thorazine that that avenue was out.

11/17/2011 02:53 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

To anyone having a problem paying for medications, most pharmaceutical manufacturers have what is known as a patient assistance program (yes I admit not for all the medications) there are also many pharmacies they carrying generics and some sell them for only $4 a month.

so if your provider doesn't know about these for some reason, tell them to check it out.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved