MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/10/2008 03:02 PM

NEW TO THE GROUP

norma1
norma1Posts: 172

My son (25 yrs) and I (older than 55 yrs) both are bipolar. He just recently had a bad episode after being in remission for 6 years. He decided to stop taking his meds about 6 months ago and in Nov he really had a lulu....luckily he knew he was getting sick...i didn't recognize the signs. He signed himself into the hospital...after a 4 day hospital stay he came home..he lives in an apartment on the back of our property. It was really scary for a few weeks. I kept dumping meds down him and encouraging him in positive activities. He also works with me and so i could make sure he was alright at work..we are lucky since the support at work is great. any things are much better now. he realizes that he can never be off meds no matter how long he is feeling well...it is nice to have a group with which to share.

01/10/2008 05:18 PM
breathe
breathe  

Good for him checking himself into the hospital. That took courage and shows he takes responsibility for his actions. Kudos to your influence as Momma. I'd think it would be natural, esp. at that age to see if one can make it without meds. I'm glad he got help and has your support and care.

Take care

01/10/2008 05:38 PM
justme
justme  

welcome to the group glad you and your son can help encourage each other. we as a group wil be there for both of u.

01/11/2008 08:28 AM
norma1
norma1Posts: 172

i appreciate the support....it is a help to have an place to go with people who are going through the same thing...thanks

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved