MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/06/2011 01:13 AM

diagnosied

tonich

i came on here a little while ago but then went off..i got my diagnosis of bipolar 2 yesterday and am a bit in awe , i have been started on lamotrigine 25 mg for 2 wk then 50 for 2 week then 100 for 1 week the 100 x2 daily then the introduction of sum other meds along the way......any help wud be great..do i neeed to tell my employer and hw do i begin t tell my famil

05/06/2011 01:31 AM
battywitch
battywitch  

The only advice that I can really give just now is, give yourself the time you need to come to terms with your diagnosis and do plenty of research, this is a brilliant place to do that, before you consider telling anyone else. The reason I say this is that once you know more about it yourself it makes it easier to explain to others when they start to ask questions. I hope this helps.

05/06/2011 01:36 AM
tonich

were do i go on here to find information plses

05/06/2011 05:50 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tonich, it takes a while for some to accept their diagnosis. Once I realized it explained a lot of my past behavior I accepted it, so I wasn't hung up about it for a really long time. As far as telling folks, I do it on a need to know basis. I have never told me family because I know they would never understand and I don't care to live with their reaction. But others tell anyone. It's a comfort level issue. Many do not tell their employer to prevent any kind of discrimination. However, you are supposed to be protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). So telling your Human Resources department might be something you can safely do. I only chose to tell my boss because I really knew she would be okay with it.

As far as resources, reading a book about bipolar would help. I recommend "Bipolar for Dummies." Also a good website is the government's National Institutes of Health. Here is the link to the bipolar section:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar- disorder-easy-to-read/index.shtml

I hope you can get to a place of acceptance soon. You will be able to function at a more comfortable level and engage more fully in your treatment and recovery process.

05/06/2011 06:03 AM
aManicMind

Having just received your diagnosis try to realize that it is possible you will get better everyday going forward knowing what is going on with you. This may sound a little extreme but I feel like the day I was diagnosed was like I was born again, I now knew what was causing me and those around me so much pain and could treat it.

Do not jump right in and tell everyone in the world about your diagnosis and in my personal opinion never tell your employer, I have done a lot of research on Bipolar in the workplace and not one person has been able to tell me its a good idea, Obviously this depends on the nature of your work.

one thing I will say that maybe will help you decide who to tell is always remember "Once you tell them there is no taking it back" good or bad you will always be someone with mental illness in there minds and YES with the right people this is very helpful and you need a support system but with the wrong people they could turn and run or be hurtful.

you are in the right place for information just post and ask away feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions I do not mind.

try to stay positive.

05/06/2011 05:37 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

It's is sometimes hard to accept that you have bipolar, but in time you will come to accept it. You will learn a lot about it here on these forums from other people's experiences. We all relate so well with each other. You tell anyone you feel comfortable with. You don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. My work knows, but I was working there when I got diagnosed and chose to share it with them. They don't treat me any different. I'm lucky though. I'd think about that one real hard. Lamictal/Lamotrigine is a great drug. It really helps with your moods and especially on depression. I hope it works for you. I've had no side effects either from it. I'm glad you joined. You will make many supportive friends here. Welcome to the group!

05/08/2011 01:08 PM
tonich

thank you for such kind words im still a little in awe but will keep poppin on here

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved