MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/09/2008 08:39 AM

DEALING WITH ME

Colourful
ColourfulPosts: 114

Hi, I'm Sharon from South Africa. aka Colourful I have just been diagnosed with BP2. At first it was a huge relief to know that there are reasons for me being this way. Im on Lithium at the moment and they are building the dosages, but the depression is killing me. I am an introvert and therefore there is not support system. My eldest [21] and my mother believe this illness is an excuse for bad behaviour. My youngest lacks discresion and I feel as though the entire world is staring at me when I go shopping. I have done a lot of damage in terms of going through psychotic episodes when my 16 year old stressed me out and such like... dont know how to fix things. I feel so useless and totally unable to deal with everything that I have to face right now. My daughter is staying with her grandparents and I feel so alone.

Anyway, this is me... thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this.

11/09/2008 08:46 AM
zinnia
zinniaPosts: 3990
VIP Member

welcome, colourful. we are so happy you found us. most of us know the feeling of having done the damage, and then having to face it when we come down from a high and crash or when we start taking meds, etc. it must be hard having your daughter away. maybe you could slowly start to give your mom and your other daughter things to read about being bipolar so they know it's a real disorder that you do not have control over, except to the extent that you take your meds and see your doctor and therapist, if you have one. there's another group on this site for family and friends of people with bipolar. maybe that would help them.

and you're not useless. you're just overwhelmed. i know it's easier said than done, but you just have to take things one little step at a time. the past is the past and guilt will get you nowhere. the future isn't here, and worrying about it won't help. just be in this moment and do what you can.

you'll never feel alone having joined this site. there's always someone around to listen and talk with you, day or night.

peace.

11/09/2008 08:54 AM
Colourful

Hello Zinnia,

I can't tell you how much those words mean, thank you for taking the time to read and listen. It's wonderful that the people on this site appear to help one another so much.

11/09/2008 10:39 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello!! Sharon...good that you have found us. Welcome to the group. Zinnia has already given you some good feedback...

Please make yourself at home. In the Lounge Section is the ANYONE AWAKE... it is started each day for us to visit and talk about anything we like....you would most welcome to visit there anytime. Browse, read and get comfortable here. You are not alone...sweetie...

11/09/2008 11:02 AM
AntonioG
AntonioG  

Welcome to this group colouful. Make yourself comfortable. Everyone around has, more or less, the same basic problems so you won't find yourself unique (I really mean weird lol) between us. You definitely one of us. About your issues with Lithium and depression, maybe you'll want to know that in some people Lithium is not a very effective anti-depressor. Most of times lithium works quite well on treating and preventing mania, but not so well on depression. So, if your not at an anti-depressant you may want to discuss this with your Pdoc. It's quite rare a bipolar treatment based in only one med (such as lithium). Most times it requires a combo of meds for the treatment to be effective. Expect things to get wrong while you're not stable, and that may require time and effort. Hope everything will go ok with you and I'm here for what you need. Just ask. Stay well.

11/09/2008 11:16 AM
justrembering
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Welcome Colourful. This is a great group of people. There are many people here usually someone is here 24/7 so if you have any questions or problems someone will be around to help. Feel free to browse the posts and hope to see you posting.

11/10/2008 09:44 AM
Colourful

Hi Norma,

Thank you so much, I definately will. I work most nights and so there's not an awful lot of me time, but Im determined to take more time to be with me. This will be a wonderful place to go.

Thank you

Sharon

11/10/2008 09:48 AM
Colourful

Hi Antonio,

Thank you so much. This is pretty useful information for me. I have spoken to my psychiatrist about this, but they are still in the process of pushing the dosages up on a week by week basis. She tells me that until I am up to 800mg she does not want to put other drugs into the mix? Does that sound right to you? I am very, very grateful for the support I have found here... Thank you so much.

Regards

Sharon

11/10/2008 09:50 AM
Colourful

Hello Justrembling

Thank you very much... I have been so very isolated and it's totally awe inspiring to have found this place and all of you wonderful people.

Thank you

Sharon

11/10/2008 09:51 AM
Trishy
Trishy  
VIP Member

Welcome to the family. You are not alone we are all here for you

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved