MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/25/2010 06:03 AM

My adult bipolar son

momofbipolar

I am the Mom of a 28 year old bipolar son. For years there were so many ups and downs and absolutely craziness until finally a doctor diagnosed the problem. I cannot seem to talk to anyone about this disorder as people react as though I have created a monster. My son has an illness and is not a monster, he is for the most part very compassionate. He has an extremely high IQ level. I love him very much however sometimes I need reassurance from the panic I feel worrying about him. Any advice for this worry affect is most welcome.Sad

08/25/2010 06:12 AM
cherokeesurivior35

no you didnt it is chemical balance in the brain its not your fault i have been biopolor for yrs.

08/25/2010 06:13 AM
cherokeesurivior35

no you didnt it is chemical balance in the brain its not your fault i have been biopolor for yrs.

08/25/2010 06:18 AM
momofbipolar

Thank you cherokee, any support i can get helps me through the days. Like someone with actual bipolar, i have my good days and bad days. It is like OMG! really he is going to have a hard time finding someone that will live with him, when in fact, to date he has had the same girlfriend for 6 years.

08/25/2010 06:20 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello and welcome, this is a very supportive group with mostly bipolar members and some like yourself family and friends of bipolars. Its quite natural to worry about your son, as long as he's getting treatment he should be alright, that is seeing psychiatrist (pdoc) and if needed, seeing a therapist (tdoc). If your worrying persists or your son still experiences a lot of bipolar symptoms and you are having trouble dealing with it, you could see a therapist yourself.

Wishing you well. Post here wherever you wish, you can send me or any other group leader a private message. Glad you've found us.

08/25/2010 06:23 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You certainly are not responsible for his bipolar. It sounds like you have been a very good mother to him. He cannot help the mood swings, so just be there for him. I'm sure he knows you love and care for him. Does he see a psychiatrist? Is he on any medications? If not, then he needs to see one. Medications would level him out so he will feel better and act it, too. Your worry is a mom thing and is completely understandable. If he will see a doctor about it, things will improve. If he is currently seeing one, he should talk to him/her about the fact that he is still experiencing symptoms of bipolar. Have hope, medications will truly help.

08/25/2010 06:34 AM
momofbipolar

Hello Uppity, thank you for your reply, yes my son is on lithium and one other med to help him sleep. Since his diagnosis he keeps a mood, sleeping chart and brings it to his doctor for every appointment. Is "boredom" one of the symptoms of bipolar or just him being him? I had said before he is an extremely intelligent person with an intelligence rating of 99.9% genius, perhaps this is part of the boredom?

08/25/2010 06:38 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Boredom is not a symptom of bipolar. He may just be bored because he is not being challenged intellectually. It might help for him to get out places where he will be mentally stimulated like trips to museums. Just getting out more often will help. Is he employed?

08/25/2010 07:37 AM
getfitwithjohn

Dear Mom:

I wish my mother had the incite and concern you have for your son. First niether you or he have done anything wrong. Chemical imbalances are a slip up in the bodies machinery. Sort of like a car with a misfire, a heating system where the feed back does not occer to cycle it on and off the same for a/c. All these are fixed mechanically. And BP is fixed chemically.

My wife and I find solice in BP groups and a small circle of friends who have taken the time to understand and accept my illness. Unfotunately BP is chronic and needs teaks. Our bodies age, hormones change from stressors, and a myriad of other issues.

Niether of you are alone. we are hear for you. Rant, rave and scream it is safe hear. And you need to know what ever you do or feel is the right thing. Noone is in your shoes and can tell you something is absolutely right.You know the right and wrong. Continue to stay up on treatments and changes. Knowledge is power in this disease.

Feel free to reach out.

I and my sister both have BP, one of her children does as well. I worry constantly that my 18 year old daughter will develop it but, we have the knowledge to see signs and intervene early.

A big hug to you, your son is very fortunate to have you!

08/25/2010 10:23 AM
momofbipolar

Hi there. He has been employed with a large company for 10 years straight making it to a Management Position, however he has been laid off and is now job hunting. I have suggested to him that perhaps he could take a course which would further him in his education and job requirements. He did do three years of College but dropped out. Yes he is on meds and luckily (fingers crossed) has been excellent about keeping on them and charting his mood swings.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved