MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/23/2010 07:51 AM

Hello, I am new to this site....

SusanV
SusanVPosts: 1

I am new to this site but I am not new to having Bipolar Disorder, Rapid Cycling and Mixed states. I was first diagnosed about 12 years ago. I am right now in the middle of a bad episode once again. I was hospitalized for 5 weeks approximately because of the episode and because I am sensitive to medications. I had Akathsia two times due to severe reactions to Seroquel and Abilify. I haven't been doing that well but I am trying hard to hold on becasue of my three children. I am only on Lamictal right now and my Doc keeps telling me it is going to get better. It has taken away the Mania (even though I miss my Mania). The problem is that I am so very depressed right now with no let up on it. I am waiting for it to work and trying to be patient, but the depression seems to be getting worse and not better. My Doc just increased my Lamictal to 75. He has to go slow with my meds becasue I am so sensitive to all medications which has always been another problem as far as finding the right medications.

Well, I just wanted to say hi and to introduce myself...sorry for such a long introduction.

04/23/2010 08:15 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello and welcome to the group, Susan. I am sorry to hear that you are in the middle of a bad episode. I know how that can be. Yes, 75 mg of Lamictal isn't enough yet to really help. I didn't notice a difference until I was at 200. The thing is it has to be gradually increased because of the risk of a very serious reaction if taken to a higher dosage too quickly, so hang in there. Your pdoc (psychiatrist) is right, it will get better because it will also help with the depression, too. I hope that you will find other medications as well that you have not tried yet that will benefit you, too.

Feel free to post elsewhere on the site. You may PM (private message) any Group Leader if you have questions.

04/23/2010 08:16 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi SusanV and welcome you've found a very supportive place with others who are struggling like you. I come online daily and used to suffer with depression but now i don't, i have more highs and i prefer it that way.

I'm sorry to hear about your rough times and having a lot of problems with meds, guess you are going to need patience until they get the meds just right. There are a lot of others here who had to try a lot of different meds before they found the right ones.

Feel free to post wherever you llike and send me or any group leader a private message if you want.

04/23/2010 10:44 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi, welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are feeling this way. Be sure to communicate closely with your pdoc. Tell him EVERYTHING that you feel, write it down so when you go in you won't forget to mention anything. You'll do fine, just don't give up hope. You need a lot of patience and much understanding from your husband. I wish you luck and hope you feel well soon. Take care!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved