MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/04/2008 08:34 PM

Crashing

DaddiesGirl

Hi all, new to the group diagnosed with bipolar II for 2 years now (probably been longer). Diagnosed after a nervous breakdown from repressed trauma (spousal abuse). Was in denial until i found that i was pretty much out of control when not on my depakote. Depakote keeps me semi stable, but i'm still hypomanic most of the time. my question is the crashing. I will be hypo for like 2-3 weeks and then i will crash really hard. when i crash i sleep for like 2 days (my sons says hibernate). i'm so tired i cant keep my eyes open even long enough to dial the numbers to call into work. i've learned to figure out when i'm "burning out" and try to rest more often, but mostly i cant control the constant state of hyperness. i have the ativan but hate taking it at work becasue it makes me so sleepy. Can anyone tell me why we crash?

06/04/2008 09:02 PM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome, DaddiesGirl...glad you found us. I think the crashing may be a part of the cycle...do you keep a mood chart? If not I would recommend it. It can help to recognize cycles. Your menstural cycle can play a role in cycling...if you record each day's meds, sleep patterns, activity, moods, menstural cycle you may see a pattern emerge. It can help your doctor to tweak the meds....Are you getting enough sleep? during the hypo mania?

06/05/2008 06:08 PM
DaddiesGirl

Hi Norma,

I used to keep a mood chart but moslty now i keep it in my head. yes i do tend to get really tired around my mentrual time. i've trained myself to be highly attuned to my moods so that i can recognize patterns and trends in my behavior. i make sure i go to sleep and wake at the same time every day, even on the weekends and even if i dont get enough sleep, i make sure i take a nap the next day.

I just dont understand the severity of the crashing. has anyone ever experienced this? so tired you cant even keep you eyelids open long enough to dial a phone number. i've actually fallen asleep during a phone call. is that normal for people like us?

06/05/2008 06:14 PM
bejeweled
bejeweled  

I know my g/f goes through it with the meds. They have really thrown her for a loop. They make it hard for her to wake up.

06/06/2008 10:21 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

hey Daddiesgirl, even depressed, it isn't normal to sleep 12 hours at a whack, have you been checked for sleep apnea? keeping your mood chart in your head is great only if you remember to tell the doctor everything, copy this post, make a appointment with your doctor and see what he/she has to say about it.

06/06/2008 12:40 PM
golferel
golferel  

Hey Daddy's girl- Glad you are here! I have experienced extreme fatigue in the afternoons. Never fell asleep on the phone but felt I had to lay down because I just could NOT keep my eyes open. My pdoc said "it couldn't be lamictal" (and from personal experience and others in this forum, she is a dumbass). But she started me on Provigil. It made a huge difference. At least ask the pdoc about it. It was a lifesaver for me. I began to function again. Good Luck!

06/06/2008 05:04 PM
DaddiesGirl

Thanks you guys for the feedback. I've talked to the Doc about it and he brought me down to 500mg of Depakote. I dont want to change meds anymore because it's such a hard adjustment with my sleep patterns. The last time he changed my meds I missed 3 days of work! I get the sleepiness in the afternoons too, but my boss is really cool about letting me take little 1 hour naps in the afternoons. It almost feels like after being hypo for several weeks my body just says "okay, time to crash" and then i go into hibernation. I've tried to calm myslef down during the day so I'm not always hypo, but all the meds (ativan) make me tired. Havent been to the doc lately. He told me to come in but my dad in on in home hospice and I moved in to take care of my mom. I Know it sounds like i'm making excuses, but right now i'm making an extreme effort just to make sure i go to work everyday. thanks again guys.

06/06/2008 10:25 PM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Hey Daddiesgirl, I know that you have a lot on your plate right now, with your father being in the hospital and you having to take care of your Mom, but remember if you don't take care of you, there isn't going to be anyone around to take care of them.

If the boss doesn't mind the hour naps, then I am sure he won't mind a two hour break to go see your doctor.

06/06/2008 11:14 PM
thingamajig
thingamajig  

Hi DG,

I have seen the same thing happen with my wife and she describes it almost exactly as you do. When she crashes she will be down for days getting up a couple times only to use the bathroom or eat a little. she'll skip work and any activity that I'd planned for us and our daughter just so she can sleep. I don't think it's sleep apnea because I've gone so far as to stay up and help keep a sleep diary for her (I found nothing abnormal) and eventually she did get into a study for Sleep Apnea which, unforetunately, was "inconclusive". sticking to regular sleep patterns has helped a little (but as you know that is extreemely hard to do when you're either way up or way down). I wouldn't hesitate to toc to you pdoc to look into different meds because from what I've seen the longer this goes on the worse the downs become. I wish you all the best... -Thing

06/06/2008 11:42 PM
DaddiesGirl

that's the thing though Carmen, my boss has been sooooo cool, with the naps and the time off to meet with the nurse and social worker, i dont want to ask for more. especially not when i know i'll be taking leave for my dad's funeral and hopefully not more (dont know if i'm going to flip out). I am DADDIES GIRL and everyone is actually surprised at how well i am doing. i'm actually doing so well i'm scaring myself. It's like i'm being strong now becasue i know i have to (for mom and dad). but what's gonna happen when i have to be strong for myself? dont have a good track record in that dept. and thingamajig(Smile i like that! i like my meds! they have me the stabilest i've been in the last 2 years. What to do.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved