MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/11/2009 08:44 PM

Are you BP? or do you have BP?

kyle2009
kyle2009Posts: 91

I noticed that while some of us write that "are BP....", others state that they "have BP..." or even "was diagnosed with BP".

As I struggle to decide to what extent to let this define me, I was wondering how others feel.

So, "are you?", or, do "you have"?

Hugs,

Kyle

10/11/2009 09:28 PM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

I am diagnosed as having bi polar illness.

10/11/2009 09:33 PM
lovespeonies
lovespeonies  
VIP Member

I notice when it slips out that I am bipolar I have a sense of sadness, an overwhelming fear of never getting better. When I actually think before I speak I say that I have bipolar disorder. It really does make a big difference. When I say I have it, it sounds more like I have control not like it has me. People don't walk around saying I am cancer, they say I have cancer....

10/12/2009 03:42 AM
ExyLexy
ExyLexy  

I have a diagnosis of having Bipolar disorder.

Lexis

10/12/2009 05:02 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

To really be really honest, it doesn't matter to me. I sometimes say I am bipolar just as someone would say they are diabetic. Other times I say I have bipolar disorder. There is no particular reason for me to choose one or the other. Either one says I have a mental illness.

10/12/2009 06:04 AM
sasshley

this has never mattered to me and i honestly have never understood the hang up. i mean, i am a lot of things. i am a mother, daughter, sister, friend. i am happy, sad, funny, smart, cold, hot, etc etc. and yeah, i am bipolar. or i have bipolar. it means the same to me either way it is said. there is a mentla illness present either way you say it.

10/12/2009 07:00 AM
Sociologygirl77
Sociologygirl77  

I guess fr me it just depends. Since I am newly diagnosed, I struggle where this goes in my identity. Right now I am bipolar. That has taken over the definition of my life.

Good Question, Kyle. I never thought of it like that.

10/12/2009 07:53 AM
Lorij523

I use them interchangeably. To me it means the same thing. I am also diabetic or I have diabetes...

10/12/2009 11:04 AM
kyle2009
kyle2009Posts: 91

I appreciate all the replies!

It's interesting to think about the examples you brought up- Why "we ARE diabetic" but we "HAVE cancer" (as opposed to being cancerous)?

I think I strive to be like those of you for whom it doesn't matter. For now, like sociologygirl, I am still trying to figure out where BP fits in the big picture that is me. Ignoring it doesnt work too well and BEING BP doesnt sit well with how I see myself (for now at least). Think I'll keep working on HAVING BP and take it from there.

10/12/2009 08:07 PM
merryatl
merryatl  

im bp

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved