MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/24/2009 10:23 AM

Hello, I am new

Sociologygirl77
Sociologygirl77  

Hello. I am new to this group. I am a 32/yo old who was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II/Bipolar Spectrum disorder. I am looking to connect with other people who have been dealing with this and are finding the support they need.

09/24/2009 10:29 AM
Jenna77

Hello and welcome. You have found a great support system here. Feel free to ask any questions you like. Everyone here is so nice and helfull and suportive. I really like it here and think you will too. We are all dealing with struggles in daily life. Some of us are having good days. Some of us are having bad days. Today is a good day for me. Welcome aboard and if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

09/24/2009 10:29 AM
Jenna77

That was supposed to say helpfull not helfull.

09/24/2009 10:31 AM
Sociologygirl77
Sociologygirl77  

Thank you Jenna. My name is Lori. I guess I am just dealing with some of the things I have done in my life and realizing that they were (well, a lot of them) due to my undiagnosed illness. I have hurt a lot of people and I feel terrible. I know my behaviours have affected my daughter and i feel like a bad mom. I guess I just want to make things right, but how does one erase the past?

I'm glad you are having a good day. I am too for the most part. I am still waiting for my meds to kick in since I was just diagnosed, I haven't made it to the right dosage yet.

Thanks for replying!

09/24/2009 10:37 AM
Jenna77

No problem. One piece of advice is that you can't erase the past. You can learn from your mistakes and how to correct them. Now that you have been diagnosed, that is half of the battle. I know this disease does not excuse our behaviors but it does explain a lot of why we do things. I am glad you are on the right path. Medication can make all the difference in the world. I was diagnose Bipolar II rapid cycling, psychosis, paranoi, panic. I am getting on the right track again as far as my meds are concerned. It sounds like you are on the right track also. What meds did they put you on? Sometimes it can take awhile for the meds to kick in so you just have to be patient. I am trying to learn patience with my new anti-depressant. Just increased the dose and it is not fully in my system yet. Good luck to you!

09/24/2009 10:47 AM
Sociologygirl77
Sociologygirl77  

I am currently on Lamictol. In the process of getting diagnosed, I was put on Ambien for sleep - which caused me to rage uncontrollably and self-injure with no recollection - then kolonpin, the restoril, then prestique, then effexor - which made me SO depressed everything was the end and I just wanted to end it, then Depokote - except I have PCOS and Depokote doesn't work in women with PCOS, now finally lamictol (after diagnoses). I am still on 50 mg. on my way to 100 mgs. It was a hard summer to say the least!

09/24/2009 10:54 AM
Jenna77

It sounds like it. I know if you are bipolar, just an anti depressant can make it worse. So its good that you are now getting on a mood stabalizer. I definitely sounds like you are on the right track. Sometimes you have to try several different medications and finally find one that will work. Sometimes I wish there was a magic pill that we could all take. But everyone reacts to meds differently. I was on lamictal at one point. Then I changed pdocs and he changed all of my meds around. Since they I have been trying to find the right combo. I am a work in progress and today I am not letting anything get me down. Just be patient and make sure you tell your pdoc about all of your concerns. There is a meds and treatment section in the forum. If you have any questions about medications you are on, it is likely that someone else here is on the same med. They can let you know what they experienced with it. It is great to know that you are not alone here. It is such a good feeling.

09/24/2009 11:04 AM
merryatl
merryatl  

Hello Lori, welcome!! I am glad you are getting medicated and are on the way to sorting out all the aftermath that this illness causes. Jenna is right, everyone here is amazing. I have been learning so much about BP through this web site, and other peoples experiences, as well as my own research. I am on lamictal, as are a lot of people on this site. its a great drug. really.. a very good drug. It took me a while to get to my full dosage (200mg), but it was worth the wait. not to say its a miracle drug and that i always feel great, but it has made my life so far manageable. I am also on seroquel for sleep, and people will tell you on here that its a great drug, but has some side effects that some would not prefer (weigh gain, becoming dependant on it to sleep). Anyways, we would all be very interesting to hear your story, and try to help you in whatever way we can! I am BP2 and was diagnosed last spring, although the illness has been a problem for about 7 years. Its amazing.. be able to put everything to together.. seeing almost how obvious it should have been all along. glad your having a good day, i am as well, its beautiful outside Smile

09/24/2009 11:26 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome Lori. I have to agree with the others, this is a wonderful place for information and support. I, too, suffer from bipolar II and was only diagnosed last October. I am 41 years old. I can now look back over my life and clearly see when I was having episodes. It is embarassing to know I was walking along with no clue and other people could tell that I had a problem. However, it is also a relief to know that there is a name for it and they can help me.

I hope that you make many close friends and learn a lot here. Take care.

09/24/2009 11:33 AM
ExyLexy
ExyLexy  

Lori,

Welcome to the group!

It is great to have you here sweetheart and im glad you are seeking support. You have come to the right place.....

i understand you are having a hard time with everything and are quite unstable and im sorry to hear that.

I too am on lamictal and at a low dose i was not feeling stable at all until my pdoc started increasing my dosage and just 3 days ago he upped me to 200mg.

I too am hoping it works because it has been a nightmare and it still wont end. But... we will have hope and look forward to the great things.

Welcome again!

Lexis

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved