MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/24/2009 11:31 AM

lamictal vs lamotrigene(page 2)

merryatl
merryatl  

I often gag on my lamictal. mine are 100mg and diamond shaped (kinda peachy too). I have developed like.. a mental handicapped for taking pills. i overthink it.. i let it sit in my mouth for too long because im scared of gagging.. and then when i finally do swollow it it tastes like shit and i often gag and get watery mouth. this hasn't resulted in vomiting.. maybe a time or too. i would be interesting in some swallowing pills tips too. ugh. i could swallow pills better when i was in 2nd grade, im not kidding.

09/24/2009 11:48 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Here's a trick for swallowing pills. This isn't a joke either.

Put the pills in your mouth, take drink, tilt your head back and move pills to the back of your mouth, then put your chin down and swallow. Supposedly, it opens up your throat so the pills are easier to swallow. I have a bad gag reflex and it works for me. Good luck!

09/24/2009 03:47 PM
callme2crazy
callme2crazy  

I have had the problems describe where generics or different generics don't work like the other choices. When this happens I work with my pdoc and pharmacy to get an exception from my insurance, Medicare, for the name brand, or sometimes with the pharmacy for a different generic. I have learned that CVS pharmacy has no control over the generic brands the get but Walgreens does. this has happened with the genric for Celexa, Citalopram, and the generic for Neurontin or Gabapentin. Something I have discovered that disturbs me is the fact that both of these generics were manufactured in India. And since this finding I have checked my pill bottles and found that more and more meds are coming from India. In itself this is not a problem but the fact that I have been taking the same meds for many years and have never had this problem until the manufacturer changed, it does disturb me.

09/24/2009 05:15 PM
kingjames
kingjames  

I agree with Loves with the soda part, I take mine wth soda too, too try and counteract that nasty nasty taste, really can't let them sit on your tounge for sure. Mine has come in all shapes and sizes seems like, the round ones aren as horrific as the diamond shaped ones.

Post edited by: kingjames, at: 09/24/2009 05:16 PM

09/27/2009 05:09 PM
gibsongirl

Lisa-

Good deal, (coming from a nrsing student). I have tried that too, and it doesn't work. Anatomically speaking, it should- but for me no luck!

gibsongirl

02/22/2012 01:23 PM
zorski
zorski  

my pdoc makes sure my lamotrigine is NOT TEVA! Ginger helps alot with nausea-I like ginger altoids, candied ginger, ginger tea. If things are real bad, you can ask your doc for a prescription for Zofran (an anti-emetic). But it might make you drowsy.

03/26/2012 12:01 PM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Im on 3 100mg tabs sometimes i get generic sometimes i get lamictal (downside of being in UK) and they taste absolutely vile... Now i just throw them to the back of my throat and gulp water as fast as i can! if they are causing nausea, something like prevacid to take alongside them may help. I take prevacid along with mine.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved