MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/23/2009 08:31 AM

Splitting Seroquel???

lovespeonies
lovespeonies  
VIP Member

After my wonderful, fabulous, and downright contradictory appt. I once aain was left confused. I dropped off 6 prescriptions( at pharmacy) and asked the guy at the drivethru if I could cut my 300 mgs of Seroquel because just two weeks ago I paid 60 dollars for them, and now they are going to just sit because wacko wants me on 150mg. I saw him walk over to the phamacist and ask and the pharmacist said no, you have to get the 150mgs. I know there is something about crushing that is bad but I don't plan to snort them I just need to save money. Anyway told the guy I'd be back after seven(kids had soccer games) when I pulled back up to the window(young assistant was gone and a lady was ther) she had only two prescriptions for me(I did put some on hold because I didn't need them yet).She told me the seroquel won't be in to well today after one. I asked her to ask the pharmacist(same guy as before) if it would be okay If I split a 300mg and without a second thought he said sure.WTF. I am not made of money that is complete bullshit. My husband swares this whole pharmacist stuff is bullshit and between the stores and the pharmacists and insurance it is all about money.

09/23/2009 09:07 AM
Jenna77

I agree. It is all about money. The pharmacies and drug companies really don't care about people like us who have not health insurance and cannot afford their meds. They make a killing off of me at least. Thank God for my parents and my pdoc giving me samples. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be on medication at all. Why is it that some of my prescriptions are $20 for the generic and others are $175? I just don't get it. They make mad money off of us!

09/23/2009 09:46 AM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

You can split it unless you are prescribed seroquel XR. If you do split the XR, it will no longer be extended release.

09/23/2009 11:08 AM
Kittyn1971
Kittyn1971  

I've done it quite a few times if I forget to take it and it's super late when I remember. I just cut the bugger in half so I can actually wake up in the morning.

09/23/2009 12:10 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I was told that the only pills you can split are the ones that are scored, you know have a line down the middle. If they don't have a line down the middle then the medicine is not even distributed within the pill and you might actually get all the med in one half and none in the other. A pdoc told me that.

09/23/2009 12:40 PM
CompletelyLost
CompletelyLost  
VIP Member

My daughter's doctor had me splitting 15mg Abilify when she ran out of samples for us. Those were not scored. She also had me splitting Zoloft and Trazadone as well. The only thing she advised was not to split any extended release pills, just like bagofcandy stated earlier.

09/23/2009 03:07 PM
merryatl
merryatl  

I just picked my seroquel up 2 minutes ago actually, 45 50mg seroquels are 50$. awesome. You can split your seroquel. I initially was prescribed 200mg seroquels (which is way too much for me) and so i would take half.. or a quarter. I actually tried a few different doses before i figured that 50 was enough to make me sleep. Also.. my doctor has told me to bite off a peice of seroquel if i feel like im going to freak out. I break up my pills and take it when i need it, and then at bed. they have pill splitters you can buy if you want to be exact but.. my experience with seroquel is that its definately not a big deal if its not exactly the right dose.

09/24/2009 05:51 PM
BigJ

I've self medicated a few times in the past couple years with an old seroquel 300 script. I've split a couple in half to end extreme hypomania (unable to sleep) and when in a really bad depression. The last time was when bills where do and unemployment was pending an extension and I heard through the grapevine that my old boss had said that he wouldn't bring me back to work. I took half of one, 2 hours later felt drunk and weak and didn't want to move and went to bed at 10:30 (way early for my unemployed self) and slept 'til 1 the next day and it took me a few hours to get back up but I did it.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved