MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/29/2008 12:01 PM

TIPS FOR DEVELOPING A HEALTHY ATTITUDE

Dreux
Dreux  

Be honest and realistic. Do not base your attitude on thinking things are worse than they are or better than they are.

Make sure you know the truth. Get accurate information about Bipolar disorder.

Stay in the present. Don't make things worse imagining a future with pain, disability or loss.

Accept your situation, but don't overly identify with it. Bipolar may be part of your life, but that doesn't mean it should control your life.

Maintain your perspective. Focus on something that brings peace, joy, laughter and meaning.

Watch your words. If you hear yourself talking negatively, substitute positive phrases. Say, ”I will find a way to live with Bipolar”, rather than “Bipolar is ruining my life.”

Try to relax. Tell yourself that difficult moments will pass.

Visualize health, not illness. Visualization is a powerful tool for self transformation.

Practice gratitude. Make it a habit to find things for which you are grateful.

Learn what you can control and what you cannot. There are things you cannot control, such as the fact that you have Bipolar. However there are things you can control, such as your attitude and what you say to yourself about having Bipolar.

Learn from Bipolar. Ask yourself what Bipolar can teach you about living.

Get support. Being with others who are dealing with the same issues can bring encouragement and hope.

Help others. When it comes to stepping outside ourselves, probably nothing works as well as reaching out to others who are struggling.

I feel like these are good tips in general, they fit most of lifes situations.

04/29/2008 12:16 PM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Good gracious...Dreux...you are reading my mind LOL...thanks so much for reaffirming what I already know to be true...you are a dear.

04/29/2008 12:18 PM
redrose

Druex,

Those are some good things to live by. I think that some of us (me) need to be reminded of these at times. Would you mind if I print this and hang it where it will come in handy?

04/29/2008 12:29 PM
norma
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Redrose...I would have it tattooed on me if i thought it wouldn't hurt too much. LOL isn't it great!!!I am going to print it and put it in the break room at work...we have a lot of people with bipolar disease there...and these things also are great for other situations...

04/29/2008 12:40 PM
southern10
southern10  
VIP Member

Thank-you so much Dreux for this...Im learning day to day to deal with my bipolar and the people in my life..Im going to print this out and put it on my refrigerator....Smile

Post edited by: southern10, at: 04/29/2008 14:40

Post edited by: southern10, at: 04/29/2008 14:41

04/29/2008 12:44 PM
redrose

Norma,

Tatoo's scare me. Don't have much for pain tolerance here. I have gone as far as getting a price on one and really considering getting it done soon....

I want so much to get a long stemmed purple rose on my leg. Just don't know if I will be able to withstand the pain and may end up with just a stem......

04/29/2008 12:50 PM
Dreux
Dreux  

Your all welcome, I think we all need a different perspective at times, it's like art, the room, the lighting, all change the way we see. Music is another good example, songs make you happy,sad, brings back memories.

Attitude and perspective are everything, if you feel your going to fail, then your most likely to fail, if you think you will succeed, you may not succeed, but because you have not given up there is a chance at success .

04/29/2008 03:01 PM
norma
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I like your attitude Dreux.

Redrose...i have a Rose on my ankle, it didn't hurt nearly as much as childbirth...LOL and I got it when I was 51 yrs old. LOL my kids had a fit.

04/29/2008 03:36 PM
DreamChaser
DreamChaser  

Dreux - Thank you for the tips. I try to live by much the same credo. Some days I do better than others, and some days I just plain forget. I am going through a really rough time right now so thanks for the reminder. Smile

Ladies, I have a large celtic heart on my lower back. It wasn't really painful going on, but felt a lot like a burn for several days. I had it done at age 44. It was really difficult choosing a good place for it. You know, all of that sagging skin in my near future. Smile My husband and I both like it, but my son calls it an asshat. LOL

04/29/2008 04:46 PM
redrose

Dreamchaser and Norma,

You both make me feel that maybe I am not the only one. I am 43 and have none yet. I was thinking that I was getting too old for that. Although my girls have encouraged me to get one. The youngest even said that she would get another just so I would do it.....

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved