MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/24/2008 12:46 AM

I can't sleep

geekGirl
geekGirl  

Ugh! I cannot sleep. I have taken all my meds and even some klonopin. I took my trazadone. I don't know what to do. My doc was getting on me about going to sleep early. I am pretty medicated, at least on paper. Any advice?

04/24/2008 01:42 AM
undertoe
undertoe  

Sorry you can't sleep, but you're not alone! I'm still up, too. Don't know how many more days I'll keep burning it at 2-3 hours of sleep or less. I had a doctor once tell me that is was physically impossible to die from sleep deprivation. That's good I guess. One less thing.

I do hope you find your way to some rest.

undertoe

04/24/2008 01:53 AM
geekGirl
geekGirl  

Thanks Smile Your doc was kind of right about the sleep thing. According to http://library.thinkquest.org/26459/basics/page7.html you can die from lack of sleep, but it is bc of things that are secondary to the lack of sleep itself. I know rats will die when they don't sleep for like a week (I don't remember the exact number of days).

I hate not being able to just lay down and fall asleep. I have never been able to sleep at night.

Post edited by: geekGirl, at: 04/24/2008 12:50

04/24/2008 01:58 AM
undertoe
undertoe  

Have you tried hanging upside-down by your toes? I saw that work for a guy in a movie once. He had some problems like us, too!

undertoe

04/24/2008 04:17 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

I don't know about not being able to die from lack of sleep, but you darn sure can't function with out it, use to do speed, would keep me up for days on end, by the end of the 4th day I was in gumby land.

04/24/2008 10:48 AM
geekGirl
geekGirl  

I finally fell asleep Smile I think it just took a little time and for my meds to fully kick in. When I was a kid I could never fall asleep to take naps. I also had a lot of problems falling asleep when I had something to do in the morning (like school or work). If I knew I could wake up and have time to dick around for an hour or two I was good.

This also makes me wonder if some people are just more accustomed to sleeping at certain times. I have found that if I go to bed at 3am, I will naturally get up at 11am. This was perfect for me when I worked swing shift, and probably has something to do with why I had so much job stability during the time when I worked those hours.

04/24/2008 10:59 AM
undertoe
undertoe  

I'm glad you found some rest! I've been all over the place lately. Yesterday I slept from 4a - 6a, today it was a nap from 8a - 10:30a. I don't remember what the night before the night before, I want to say I was in bed by 3a. Both nights this weekend it I was in bed by midnight, but really had trouble sleeping.

Unfortunately, that same doc told me that a regular, consistent sleep habit was an important factor in my staying sober and sane. (Damnit!)

But, what I'm really interested to know is: Are you sure it was the meds that helped you and NOT the hanging upside-down by your toes? Because I might try that tonight.

undertoe

04/24/2008 11:02 AM
geekGirl
geekGirl  

LOL! I will absolutely try hanging by my toes. The meds are just a placebo, I need something more primal Smile

04/24/2008 11:04 AM
geekGirl
geekGirl  

I forgot to say, I hate that I have to be told by my doc to sleep during certain times. Why can't I sleep when I do??? What the hell is the deal with that? If I get more sleep by going to sleep at a certain time of day, why wouldn't I be encouraged to sleep at those times?

04/24/2008 11:12 AM
undertoe
undertoe  

That is what this doc told me. That it didn't matter when I slept, as long it as it was 7-8 hours and at the same times each day. Maybe vary by one hour if I wanted to sleep in on the weekends, but keep that variance consistent for weekends, too.

Outside of the politics of the situation (external commitments, expectations) I don't know why it would matter when you slept. <Impression of the old man from "Legends of the Fall">SCRW'M!</impression>

undertoe

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved