MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/13/2009 05:51 PM

feelings of grandiosity

gracie24

Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by ideas, concepts, or anything "deep" or beautiful. Emotions overwhelm me so much that I feel impulses to act because I've been so significantly impacted.

For example, I was driving this morning, and just took in every detail of the beauty on the drive that tears started pouring down my face.

Does anyone else experience this? My counselor suggested that I look up the "highly sensitive person," which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Some ppl process sensory data in a much more profound way. These people also tend to be introverted and shy.

I wonder if this is linked to the creative talents that many BP's tend to possess. I believe I am able to interpret the world in a way that is "deeper" than I believe most others do. Maybe it's a silver lining-well, as long as the flowers and trees don't start talking to me. Ha.

Any thoughts?

Silly Silly

07/13/2009 05:56 PM
gracie24

I found this quote on HSP and thought it applied:

"To him... a touch is a blow,

a sound is a noise,

a misfortune is a tragedy,

a joy is an ecstasy,

a friend is a lover,

a lover is a god,

and failure is death.

Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - - - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating." -Pearl S. Buck

07/13/2009 06:22 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

One term that I've heard applied to me (and I am similar to your description) is emotionally responsive. I have always been this way and can't even watch sappy commercials because I'd cry.

I am also fairly creative, having been an artist and poet in the past.

I am not so sensitive now that I am stable. Medications seem to have dampened these sort of emotional responses.

07/14/2009 10:10 AM
HelloHighLow
HelloHighLow  

I know exactly what you mean. At times I am very easily stimulated -- phrases, songs, people, actions, surroundings, etc can seem so deep/touching/beautiful to me that I feel emotions so strong that I react physically in some way, usually by crying.

Then again, there are the times when I could watch kittens be tortured in front of me and I'd be completely numb to it.

I'm not sure either way is a good way to be BUT they can both have their pros and cons. When I'm super sensitive I can become extremely creative and can produce artwork that I would have no chance of being able to make when I'm not as receptive BUT I have to deal with crying spells. And when I'm more emotionally closed off it's easier to deal with harder situations BUT I can be too shut off for regular interactions.

07/14/2009 03:40 PM
SoultosqueezE
SoultosqueezE  

i have delusions of grandeur also... really bad ones. i've had times i thought i was the second coming of christ... it sounds strange i know... but it was so real. i always feel like i'm above everyone else in all ways... But yeah i'm triggered by just about anything. like you said it's always a "concept" or "idea" and it always seems to deep and beautiful that it overwhelms me and i feel like i have to share that feeling with everyone around me... and i always end up looking crazy

your sentence "I believe I am able to interpret the world in a way that is "deeper" than I believe most others do" is dead on... it is exactly how i feel

Post edited by: SoultosqueezE, at: 07/14/2009 03:44 PM

07/15/2009 06:20 AM
gaffron
gaffron  

I've been that way it seems like forever. I identify with being bothered over the "insignificant", and I expect others to realize that. "Constructive criticism" about my moods or attitude by those close to me tend to make them very distant to me. Like about 800 miles. And yes, I play guitar without much skill, yet, but I still dream of being in a bar band, or a famous songwriter.

Post edited by: gaffron, at: 07/15/2009 06:27 AM

07/15/2009 07:05 PM
cornelia
corneliaPosts: 2

I just responded to your other post, then read this one and completely identified with it. But I agree with what my friend YorkieLove said about not feeling so alive anymore once you're stable on medication. I fought that, I loved the ecstasy of being alive to everything, loved it like a drug. But right now I'd rather be stable. Anyway, you're not alone. It's an extraordinary feeling, isn't it? It's a golden lining.

Post edited by: cornelia, at: 07/15/2009 07:07 PM

07/15/2009 07:59 PM
gaffron
gaffron  

It's the meds that keep me grounded, somewhat. I swear, since I got this computer a month ago, I must have written every justification in the book to stay isolated. I've snivelled and cried over things I could actually, and in real life do nothing about. I got stubborn and said to myself that dammit, I'm not going to be hurt again, and I'm not going to inflict my condition on someone else. But you guys, you guys here at this support group draw me out. I think I'm beginning to see that if you reach for a rose, sometimes you're going to get stuck, and that makes the rose all the more beautiful. thanks, you're ripping away my excuses. I truly thank you. I'd send a check, but I bought another guitar today, so I've got to watch my wallet.

Gary

Post edited by: gaffron, at: 07/15/2009 08:19 PM

07/16/2009 01:53 PM
gaffron
gaffron  

A little manic (duh) on that last post. Didn't realize it till I read it just a while ago. Sorry about that. Didn't know I could clear a room that fast! Am feeling a bit better today, more level. Again, sorry for the angst.

Gary

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved